Prefix to rename BPM

Hello,

I thought to raise this topic with regards of renaming the BPM processes. Because we have add new team from different department means I need to change BPM process to include prefix (in my case, I want to use (IMT) at the start then name the process that related to the team.) However, when I do that, the message pop up (see below):

image.png.4c12081ac63e1411d88de89b9f4d4840.png

Which I am aware that the process is activated so I de-activated the process and then tried to rename it. The error is still pop up saying the same message as above. My guess for this error is to do with the tickets that are currently active with BPM in place therefore it would not be possible to rename BPM process. I would imagine that can mess up the BPM process.

Is there any chance you would be able to do it from your end to rename the process for me if this is possible?

Thanks,
Aaron :ph34r:

On 2/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Aaron Summers said:

My guess for this error is to do with the tickets that are currently active with BPM in place therefore it would not be possible to rename BPM process. I would imagine that can mess up the BPM process.

Yes, the original process is required as long as there are active requests with an active workflow created based on that process. Removing or renaming the process effectively breaks the workflow on all these requests hence the UI prevents you to do this...

Is there any chance you would be able to do it from your end to rename the process for me if this is possible?

Yes, we could, but it would still break those requests...

Because we have add new team from different department means I need to change BPM process to include prefix

Not sure of the rationale of changing a process name because a new team was added? What the team has to do with the process name and why this would change?

@Victor

Many thanks for your speedy response.

The reason I'm asking for changing the prefix is to do with new department coming into Hornbill (we are still working on it to try and bring in more teams across department into Hornbill).

My senior manager would like to have prefix of all PCF/BPM so that it clear of what we are looking for as well search for it too). I was aware that we can rename PCF without any issues.

54 minutes ago, Victor said:

renaming the process effectively breaks the workflow on all these requests hence the UI prevents you to do this...

Would it not possible to just rename BPM from this day so that all previous active requests remain unaffected? Similar to when you modify the nodes in BPM.

Thanks,

16 minutes ago, Aaron Summers said:

Would it not possible to just rename BPM from this day so that all previous active requests remain unaffected?

Nope, not possible... Is not working the same as you think configuration/nodes work...

16 minutes ago, Aaron Summers said:

My senior manager would like to have prefix of all PCF/BPM so that it clear of what we are looking for as well search for it too

Why not use the description of the process, the categories...? meddling with the name is not a good idea :( 

18 minutes ago, Aaron Summers said:

Would it not possible to just rename BPM from this day so that all previous active requests remain unaffected?

If you are still bent on this, the best advice I can say right now is to create a new copy of the existing process then set this new process in all places in SM so new requests will use this process... then, at a later date, revisit the configuration and remove the older one...

• Thanks 1

@Aaron Summers one additional consideration i wanted to flag up here (it may or may not be needed, depending on if the new department will be building there own bpm's and pc's, or if you will be doing it all). but there is an option to control who see's which BPM's and PCs, depending on who they have been shared with. 

With this setting enabled you can start to share the bpm's with users, groups and roles.

Home > System > Advanced Settings 

image.png

So in the BPM and PC designer you will see a Access Granted To option at the bottom of the process options. 

image.png

* Be sure to include yourself if enabling and setting these share options.

I just thought it was worth mentioning, if one of the intentions was to group the processes for different process owners in the different departments, this approach would allow your process owners to only see processes shared with them.

• Like 1

@Victor & @Steven Boardman

Many thanks for the response and I would have thought is the reason for unable to rename the prefix.

Not a problem, I will speak with my senior manager about this just hoping for this answer would be enough.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:29 PM, Victor said:

Why not use the description of the process, the categories

I will let you know on here (hopefully my last message!) the response from my manager.

Response to Steven's message:

That is actually very useful for the future reference if we have plan to bring in my teams/departments because at the moment, it only myself and Samwoo that deal with the admin side of it.

Thanks,

Hi 

I found this post as I was trying to rename a BPM having amended a copy of it.  I followed the advice above and made a copy and added it to the service but I now can't delete the original either.

I have always renamed them to X - whatever to send them to the bottom of the list and then removed them when I am sure I won't want to use them again.  I have a job soon to tidy up the BPMs (and PCs) and remove the ones that are no longer used, am I going to be able to do it?

Or can I change the access granted option so they don't show up in the list for me?

Helen

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, HGrigsby said:

remove the ones that are no longer used, am I going to be able to do it?

As long as there are no active requests using that particular BP,  then you should be able to rename and/or delete it

• 2 years later...

I am afraid the way this works means the Rename option is almost completely pointless since there is almost never a time, after a process has been set into motion, that it will ever not have at least one ticket using the lifecycle; and therefore can never be renamed. Even in test we have loads of tickets so our test processes cannot be renamed either. It's bad.

It should work that a new Request takes a snapshot of the BP at that time and works on that copy for it's lifecycle. If the main BP then alters (such as a name) that's fine, the next Request that comes along will grab the latest version/name. This facility is already in place with the versioning of the BPs in the editing window.

As it stands, if I want to make a major change to a BP, I have to copy the Live BP and give it new (permanent) name. Then, when I have finished with the testing and want to go live, i am now FORCED to locate and edit all the Catalogue items that use the current live BP and edit them and re-publish them to use the new BP.

Effect: I can never have a release system that means the live BP's are all called "[Business process Name] - Live" and all the test BPs are called "Test". I have to name my test BPs as if they are Live and then somehow tell everyone they are not!

Really suggest this needs some re-thinking at HB. At least provide a one-click facility to find and address all the existing Requests preventing the renaming so we can clear the way. I can search for them but the links are not active so i have to manually open them one by one...

image.thumb.png.02cad725fc1e6ff74fabfcd13e338710.png

@Berto2002 unless I am missing something, I am not sure why there is a need to rename a workflow in your scenario? There is the option to download and upload a workflow definition file. So you do the tests on the [BP - Test] workflows. When the tests are complete and ready then you download a definition file for this workflow, go to the [BP - Production] workflow and upload the definition file. Once done you will have in [Production] the version and configuration that was in [Test]. No renaming...

Hi Victor, that sounds interesting. Perhaps we've missed this piece of education. I understand the concept here. A couple of Q's please:

1) Are there any articles referring to this in case there's more to know about it? I could not find reference in Wiki

2) It feels to me that I would be going live on an untested BP but are you saying this is the 'official' way to do this and that the download/upload process carries-over 100% of the the config and can be relied upon for this as the release mechanism?

Thanks,

Berto

1 minute ago, Berto2002 said:

Are there any articles referring to this in case there's more to know about it? I could not find reference in Wiki

Not much really, download and upload a process definition file are pretty straightforward and simple operations. Though they are mentioned here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php?title=Business_Process_Designer

3 minutes ago, Berto2002 said:

are you saying this is the 'official' way to do this and that the download/upload process carries-over 100% of the the config and can be relied upon for this as the release mechanism?

No, I am not saying this this any 'official' way, is just an advice on how you can achieve what you need ('move' a workflow definition from process A to B without renaming A or B). As mentioned on the wiki the download will create a copy of the whole workflow definition, so yes it will carry over 100% of the config.

• Thanks 1