Asset import from MS Intune

I understand that we can import mobile phones and tablets from Intune. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Do we use a JSON file in the same way we would from SCCM? If so what information would we need to input for the APIKey, Instance ID, Driver, Server etc as this is a cloud-based system and doesn't have a specific SQL server to connect to. These particular details don't exist.

Any help would be great to get me started.

Hi @MikeW,

We don't have a standalone tool to extract mobile assets directly from Intune to import into Hornbill as yet, and the database asset import tool won't do this. There are a couple of ways you could import devices from Intune though:

• You could export the devices from the MDM portal, and use the CSV Asset Import Tool to import the devices into Hornbill;
  • If you have an Azure Automation subscription and have people in-house who know Azure and Powershell, you could create a runbook to grab the devices from Intune and push them into Hornbill. There are example runbooks on Technet which show how to perform API calls against a Hornbill instance to get your devs started. Note, these examples require a couple of modules installing into Azure Automation from the Powershell gallery, see the script documentation for more details.

I'm actually running through Intune at the moment to see if there's much scope for integration with Hornbill. Aside from the importing of devices, would there be any other integrations you would like to see? I'm thinking that the ability to remote-wipe devices will be a good place to start, but I'm interested in the opinions of people who actually use it in anger :) 

Thanks,
Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MikeW,

I've just dropped a Powershell runbook on to Technet Script Center, to demonstrate how you can import Intune mobile assets into your Hornbill instance: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Hornbill-Intune-Mobile-d18cc81d . There are a few dependencies to be aware of, as listed on that page. This runs within Azure Automation, so you'll need an AA subscription to run it in that platform. Let me know how you get on with it.

Also, I added a number of Intune integrations to our iBridge. Details of which can be found here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Intune . Aside from those listed in that wiki page, were there any other Intune integrations that you would like to see?

Cheers,
Steve

• 2 years later...
On 2/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, Steve G said:

Hi @MikeW,

We don't have a standalone tool to extract mobile assets directly from Intune to import into Hornbill as yet, and the database asset import tool won't do this. There are a couple of ways you could import devices from Intune though:

• You could export the devices from the MDM portal, and use the CSV Asset Import Tool to import the devices into Hornbill;
  • If you have an Azure Automation subscription and have people in-house who know Azure and Powershell, you could create a runbook to grab the devices from Intune and push them into Hornbill. There are example runbooks on Technet which show how to perform API calls against a Hornbill instance to get your devs started. Note, these examples require a couple of modules installing into Azure Automation from the Powershell gallery, see the script documentation for more details.

I'm actually running through Intune at the moment to see if there's much scope for integration with Hornbill. Aside from the importing of devices, would there be any other integrations you would like to see? I'm thinking that the ability to remote-wipe devices will be a good place to start, but I'm interested in the opinions of people who actually use it in anger :) 

Thanks,
Steve

Hi @Steve G, do you know if this tool is available with Hornbill now?

• 2 years later...