Role for database direct access

Dan Munns

Hi all,

Is there a role which allows access to database direct but isnt a system admin / super user role? 

I thought that advance reporting admin would do it but apparently not. 

If no role is available does anyone know the settings to allow for read only access to database direct so I can create one.

Thanks 

Dan

• Victor changed the title to Role for database direct access

I just want to create a read only user so that they can read the various tables and column names to create some reports.

But having them have super user access is obviously a bad idea.

Otherwise I am going to have to create a data dictionary in excel for them. Which will involve lots of work I don't fancy signing up to..... 

3 hours ago, Victor said:

@Dan Munns (long time no speak

Did you miss me? ;) 

On 2/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Dan Munns said:

so that they can read the various tables and column names to create some reports

@Dan Munns why not give them access to app entity viewer for this?

image.png

On 2/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Dan Munns said:

Did you miss me?

Sometimes it can get lonely on the dark side... :P

@Victor I knew this would be your answer. I felt it in the force....

The entity viewer isn't the most user friendly thing in the world and to find out database column names rather than display names for quite a few tables means switching over to the database schema viewer, which always reverts to the top of the list rather than keeping the table you were looking at and is just more of a pain (especially as the names don't always match up.)

Far easier to have read only access to the database, see what columns you need then pop over to entity viewer if you need a table join that you cant work out.

The only really good schema viewer I have used was about 5 years ago with some software I cant even remember but you could select 2 - 3 tables and it would list all the columns for each table and colour code the fields where you could create the table joins.