Enhancement: Allow setting of 'resolve by' with variable

Dan Munns

With the further expansion of SM into our business it would be very useful to be able to set the resolve by date with a variable from a PC. 

Other departments which are currently using SM don't really have SLAs and tend to work to a 'required by' date. This could be days, weeks or months in the future and are totally fluid. Setting a resolution timer to this has proven difficult to the point that most teams outside IT don't bother, which means they are losing a valuable measure of service improvement.

Allowing us to set the resolve by date with a variable would allow a timer to be used in these cases. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

I've encountered the need to set a "due date" on several occasions during my work with customers. Essentially the need to set a target based on a specific event that is influencing the delivery of the work (e.g. end of the financial year, an audit deadline, or a new member of staff starting) - which is what I would understand as being "fluid" in your description i.e. the due date could be quite a strict deadline (unlikely to move) but the factor influencing the deadline can variable for each piece of work.

The immediate benefit of such a feature would allow easy sorting of the request list but in terms of the performance and service delivery improvement I'd be interested to know what type of reports or metrics would be useful to you in relation to a "due date".

At the very least I would expect there is a need to compare the time at which the request was "marked" with the due date target, and then set a 1 or 0 accordingly - representing whether this was marked within the due date, or exceeded the due date. Would you be able to elaborate further in this area, or is the need essentially the same as reporting on Service-Level-based targets?

I'd also speculate that there should be restrictions when it comes to editing any existing due date on a request. Who is involved in managing and setting of due dates in your scenario?

The concept of a due date is already under discussion by the Product team and I understand you may already have contributed in some conversations but it would be great to hear a few thoughts on the latter points RE: reporting and governance around amending a due date.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, 

From a reporting standpoint I think most the SLA type reports will be fine.

If they met the required by date or not will be what most teams are interested in. 

It would be nice if we could have metrics around the date changing, either by the user or the analyst. And a way of stopping it being changed by people (if it is a compliance issue for example, and the date is set by a third party) or adding a reason field for explaining date changes if it is flagged as none flexible (to account for compliance deadlines changing etc).

In most of our cases it will be dates set due to the launch of a product or to comply with some legislation which is being introduced and in both cases it will be rare (but not unknown) that the dates will change once set.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Dan Munns

We have a change in our backlog for adding a field to the Service Requests to record a due date.  This on its own will probably not cover all the aspects that you are looking for, such as controlling who can change this date.  

I was also interested if you had considered using a custom field for this?  In progressive capture you can already create a custom form to prompt a user for the due date, which could then be added to a custom field on the request.  Custom fields are now also available as part of the Views on the request list, so one should be able to create a list of service requests with these due dates being visible.

Please feel free to mention me in further questions about this change and its progress.  We do have a fantastic backlog of great feature requests from our customers and we continue to review and progress these.  I will post back here if there is any progress with providing this new due date field.  

Regards,

James

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2018 at 7:45 AM, Dan Munns said:

Other departments which are currently using SM don't really have SLAs and tend to work to a 'required by' date.

Hi Dan,

Just a quick update on this. The development team are currently working on a new Due Date feature which can be used in place of Service Levels.  This will be a flexible due date with options to control if users can or can't modify the due date.  I can't give an exact date for completion, but as it is currently in development it shouldn't be too long.  I'll update again once it is available.

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1