Hornbill Academy Webinar: Winning with Analytics

DanielRi

Thank you to all that attended yesterdays Hornbill Academy Webinar "Winning with Analytics". It was great to see such a big turnout and I hope everyone found the content useful in some way. An hour is a very short space of time to talk about Analytics!

There were a number of questions asked at the end of the webinar and unfortunately time was against us so I was unable to answer many of them. As promised, here is the follow up to those questions.

"Will a recording of the session be made available to view again?"
Yes, we will make the recording available to all those who attended the webinar. Details will be sent out soon.

"Is there anyway to view a slideshow without having to log into admin console? As this makes it difficult to have a dashboard running on a display screen as a user needs to be left logged in on a separate session on the screen for it to run."
Currently dashboards can't be published or distributed in any way. A slideshow must be run in the context of a user who has the appropriate roles to run the slideshow and access the data being show on the dashboard. Generally speaking, any action or operation performed in your instance is done in the context of a particular user.

"When configuring a measure, what impact do the the "scorecard" and "sparkline" limits have?"
The Scorecard and sparkline limit settings dictate how many samples are shown in the scorecard and in the sparkline graphics on the list of measures. We talked about sample history being the number of samples that would be stored in the system. There may be a situation where your sample history is quite large, say 180 samples (i.e. if you wanted to store 6 months worth of daily samples), however trying to display 180 scorecards or 180 points on the sparkline is probably not a good idea unless you've got a REALLY big monitor. It's partly an aesthetic consideration, and typically only the most recent samples are relevant for that at-a-glance trend the list of measures provide. 

image.png

When creating a measure, what is the function of the "Date Ranging Column2"?
As we know, the date-ranging column defines the date/time field that determines the sample period the record (e.g. request) relates to. i.e. in the case of a measure that is sampling daily, do the records relate to Mon, Tues, Weds, or Thurs, etc.
The Date Ranging Column2 allows us to set a second date/time field which is useful if we want to create measures such as "Incidents Logged and Resolved in the same day". In this example, you would set the first date ranging column to be "date logged", and the second date ranging column to use "date resolved". The measure would then only include a record for Monday if the date logged and date resolved both occurred on Monday.

Widget Examples
There were also a couple of questions asking how to create particular widgets. I'll cover these in separate posts.
Dan

• Thanks 1