Service Portal Banner

Michael Sharp

I want to hide the main banner in my service portal if a portfolio banner is in effect.

To explain, when users log onto my service portal they are presented with the default home banner.  I want a service portfolio banner to take priority as this will be used to inform users of major outages.  Is this possible?

Regards,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

@Michael Sharp @nasimg @samwoo this is being discussed, and whilst it might be straight forward to hide the default banner there is still the challenge of which banner will then be displayed first?  If you only have one service this is ok because you can order the banners on the service, but where a customer is subscribed to multiple services and each service / service owner is presenting different banners to it's subscribed customers as such each customer may still see a different initial banner depending on how many services they are subscribed too - i hope that makes sense?

We are always happy to take your suggestions on the above, or if simply hiding the landing banner would be enough?

Steve

Just had a thought about this somewhat.

Why not have a new area under Service Manager Services Portfolio for managing Portal Banners?

This will then allow users to do various things.

• Create / Edit / Delete Banners in a single area
  • Create Banners not tied to Services
  • Create / Edit Banners and link them to Services if so required
  • Create / Edit Banners and link them to Catalogs (takes users straight to a form if required)
  • Create / Edit Banners and link them to external sources such as other Web pages or Intranet sites.

Additional options would include 

• Include the Banner Title and Banner Content
  • Ability to define an icon against the banner should one need to
  • Ability to only show the Banner in the main Portal or only against the Service or in both areas
  • Ability to re-order banners using drag and drop on the fly to prioritise them (or they can be left alone unordered)
  • Ability to set the duration of the Banner before it switches to the next one in the ordering set.
  • Carry over the current ability to hide shadow, set start and end date etc.
  • Visibility of the Banner can be set to "All", " Service Subscription", "Service Owners", " Organizations", "Roles", " Users" and if we can... set to users who are assigned to specific "Asset Types".

The visibility of these wholly depends on then visibility options we choose

Any Banners created here will show up in the Banners area against the Services within the Services Portfolio if they are linked.

But we should have the following in my opinion for displaying the banner(s).

• The Banner region on the Portal will be divided into 2 sections and will be device responsive.
  • The left (or right) should be smaller and have a list of Title's of the Banner showing (with the icon if present) in the order specified in the Banners area of the Service Portfolio.
  • The other side will be larger and will show the banner content as we have now.
  • The list will be highlighted with the currently shown Banner and move to the next in the list after a duration (if custom or default).

This means that the Banner ordering will be visualize and yet the users will only see the Banners they have visibility of.

I hope I explained this clearly.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 1

Forgot to add other points above

• Hovering over the banner in the Portal will stop the banner from switching to the next one.
  • Taking your mouse off the banner resets the duration
  • Hovering over a title will stop the Portal Banner from switching to the next one
  • Hovering over the title will display a popup containing the full text of the entire title if the title is too long to show in the Portal.
  • Taking your mouse off the title will reset the duration it takes before switching to the next banner
  • Clicking on another title not currently selected will switch to that banner

Just chucking around ideas

• Like 1

@samwoo thanks very much for taking the time to provide these detailed thoughts and ideas.  As you may recall from the Insights event from earlier this year we are looking at re-vamping the service experience for your end users / employees so this type of feedback is really useful. Let us digest the ideas and check alignments to our current development plans.

• Like 2

@Steven Boardman 

No problem at all, Hornbill is a solution I'd want to see thrive beyond anything imaginable so whatever I can do to be a part of that, I will try :)

Also wondered what other users thought about this as well?

THanks,

Samuel

• Like 1

Definitely agree with the majority of @samwoos ideas however a simpler model would be to bring all functionality of the Hornbill dashboards/slideshows to banners?  This could also allow us to present some key metrics to end users which would be nice which we currently distribute to heads of department manually e.g. tickets opened/closed today.

Regards,

Mike.

• 5 months later...