Asset Update

dwalby

Hi All,

We've just completed an asset audit of our office equipment (yeah fun task!).

I now need to upload this information into Hornbill. Presumably it just needs to be formatted into the template CSV file format for each asset type? If the location of an asset has changed for example, presumably it will pick this up using asset no./serial no. and update the asset rather than replace, removing any historical data?

Thanks in advance

Hi @dwalby

The CSV Upload Option in the Asset Administration it just for imports of NEW assets i am afraid,  it is not used for imports and updates.  

You can however use the CSV import utility to import and update  from your CSV/s

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/CSV_Asset_Import

This utility will update the attributes of existing assets (as long as you ensure they are using the sam unique identifiers as you already have them set up in Hornbill.

All changes will be automatically audited and visible from the asset history.

Steve

Thanks @Steven Boardman - presumably if I only want a select number of attributes to be updated I just populate those in the config and leave others as default/blank (""). Examples of those fields I wish to update are highlighted in red below. If the others are left blank I'm assuming the attribute data in the records will remain as they are?

"AssetGenericFieldMapping":{
      "h_name":"[Asset No]",
      "h_site":"",
      "h_asset_tag":"",
      "h_acq_method":"",
      "h_actual_retired_date":"",
      "h_beneficiary":"",
      "h_building":"",
      "h_cost":"",
      "h_cost_center":"",
      "h_country":"",
      "h_created_date":"",
      "h_deprec_method":"",
      "h_deprec_start":"",
      "h_description":"",
      "h_disposal_price":"",
      "h_disposal_reason":"",
      "h_floor":"",
      "h_geo_location":"",
      "h_invoice_number":"",
      "h_location":"[Location]",
      "h_location_type":"",
      "h_maintenance_cost":"",
      "h_maintenance_ref":"",
      "h_notes":"",
      "h_operational_state":"",
      "h_order_date":"",
      "h_order_number":"",
      "h_owned_by":"",
      "h_owned_by_name":"",
      "h_product_id":"",
      "h_received_date":"",
      "h_residual_value":"",
      "h_room":"",
      "h_scheduled_retire_date":"",
      "h_supplier_id":"",
      "h_supported_by":"",
      "h_used_by":"",
      "h_used_by_name":"",
      "h_version":"",
      "h_warranty_expires":"",
      "h_warranty_start":""
  },
  "AssetTypeFieldMapping":{
        "h_name":"[Asset No]",
        "h_connection_types":"",
        "h_description":"",
        "h_idx_ref":"",
        "h_manufacturer":"[Manufacturer]",
        "h_model":"Model",
        "h_serial_number":"[Serial]",
        "h_wireless":""

@Steve G sorry another question. I just completed a test run by uploading 3 assets but can't see anywhere within the updated asset that indicates when they were updated.

We perform asset audits annually so it'd be good to have an identifier of when this was completed somewhere within the asset. I'd assumed it'd show up in the 'asset history'. I've tried experimenting with the version mapping to see if this would make any difference but doesn't appear to have any effect.

@Steven Boardman & @Steve G - Sorry to chase on this, I'm looking to get the assets updated today before any further changes take place to the locations, owners, etc. Is there a way to evidence when an asset audit was completed?

On 11/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, dwalby said:

@Steve G sorry another question. I just completed a test run by uploading 3 assets but can't see anywhere within the updated asset that indicates when they were updated.

We perform asset audits annually so it'd be good to have an identifier of when this was completed somewhere within the asset. I'd assumed it'd show up in the 'asset history'. I've tried experimenting with the version mapping to see if this would make any difference but doesn't appear to have any effect.

@dwalby

From my knowledge when importing in a new asset (regardless of the means of import) the Asset History won't update to reflect that. It's only when there are changed made to the Assets you see the history appear. Are you writing a report to show this information or relying on looking at Random assets and checking the history?

I do think maybe the Asset History should show when it was created and by who.

Thanks,
Samuel

Ignore me, it just so happened that the 3 assets I chose to test did not contain any new information and therefore did not show the asset history button.

In terms of evidencing and reporting on when we've performed asset audits I've decided to set it up as a Catalog Item for now.

• Like 1