"h_asset_urn" field not populated

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Linked to this request: 

Can anyone shed any light on how we can get the blank "h_asset_urn" field populated on our assets please? We've got about 1200 assets  which don't have anything in this field......

thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Alexander

the property h_asset_urn should be always populated, when you create an asset via user-app or when you import them via CSV file.

I just run a local test and I can see it working properly for assets of class 'General'.

Do the 1200 asset belong to a specific class ? 
Would it be possible to have an example of the CSV file you used to import the assets (even only 1 asset would be enough) ?
I'd like to double check that the property is being populated as expected in your specific case.

Regards

Armando

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @ArmandoDM

The distinct classes for the assets without a URN are:

Computer, mobileDevice, telecoms, software, basic and networkDevice

Computers are imported via SCCM (using the goDBAssetImport_x64 exe)

Mobile Devices are imported and updated once a week from our MDM platform I've attached the latest csv)

All other assets will have either been imported via CSV when we first went 'live' or have been added manually as part of our procurement and delivery processes.

thanks

assetmobileDevice.csv

Hi @Paul Alexander

I imported the assets using the CSV file in your example, and the asset URNs are correctly populated.
Also creating a new asset with class Mobile Device populate the URN.

The assets imported via SCCM (
goDBAssetImport_x64 exe): the property h_asset_urn has been added in the version v1.4.0, released on December 4th 2017. So, if you are using an older version, it will not be populated and you need to update to the new version.
Please note that you will need to re-do your config files for the latest version, as the structure has changed to cater for new functionality.

Not sure about the Mobile Devices being imported and updated from the  MDM platform.  Do they use entityAddRecord/entityUpdateRecord ?

Thanks

Armando

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @ArmandoDM

I can take a look at the SCCM import later.....there is a possibility we're using an older version of the import tool as it never really goes wrong, so we haven't needed to look at it!

My main concern at the moment though is that we've added and updated a lot of our network assets trying to get a picture of what is where, and quite a few of these assets do NOT have the h_asset_urn field applied. Looking at them, the ones without this field look to have been created (by csv upload) last June or July. 

I have 2 questions:

1) Could these records be updated through a script of some sort (or, if I download the csv, and then re-import them in to Hornbill will this field be automatically created?)?

2) Will all of the 'relationships' then be updated in the h_cmdb_links table so we can report on them via looking at the h_asset_urn field? Or are all of the relationships going to need to be redone? (not something we want to do as it took weeks to get these in in the first place!)

The mobile devices aren't too much of an issue at the moment either....we're changing our MDM platform soon anyway so I'll take a look at those then.

thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Alexander

the property h_asset_urn was introduced with the build 1032+, back in August 2017, so if your assets were uploaded via CSV in June or July, then they did not this property.

On the other hand, when you updated SM to the build 1032+, the value h_asset_urn for all the assets should have been populated.  If they still null, I tend to believe that some sort of update has been done.

If you download the CSV file and import them again via user app, they will not be updated, as our CSV import does not support updates. It will add new assets with the same name, and the table 
h_cmdb_links  will not be updated either.

I'd say that the quickest way of updating these values is with a query.
How many assets do you have with h_asset_urn null ?  You can get this info if you run this query:

select count(*) from h_cmdb_assets where h_asset_urn is null

Regards

Armando

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @ArmandoDM

Do you think it's an update that WE have done? Or do you think that maybe the build 1032 didn't quite work for us? 

According to the query, we have 1257 assets without this data.

thanks

Paul