View attachments in browser

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

@Steve Giller

There are a couple of Apps we use that utilises LibreOffice/OpenOffice (managed and hosted by the Supplier) over the net to display .txt, .rtf, .docx, .xlsx, .pdf, .csv, ppt, pptx and more in read-only view, and can be extended.

We simply open the attachment from the record within the App, and the App will determine if it's a file that can be opened in the Viewer and if so, will display it natively in the browser. We can even update or create documents that will write back to the database on these Apps if in the area of the system (ie. to create document templates).

Something like this could work with the integration capabilities, or maybe a similar but simpler in-house solution might be a good idea at the very least used for viewing these files?

Prior to the Supplier implementing these solutions on these other Apps were cluttering people's download folders to a point where some people started to almost run out of space and does not know about having to tidy it up manually. Of course, these documents can be downloaded or printed directly from LibreOffice/OpenOffice if required.

• 9 months later...
On 05/02/2024 at 18:15, James Ainsworth said:

A new option has been released that allows you to preview an image file from the attachment section of a request. If an image file is detected, an image icon to the right of the name will be displayed.  Clicking on this icon will display the image without having to download it.

image.png

Thanks @James Ainsworth.

I don't remember seeing Harry Hornbill mentioning this within Hornbill - was this missed or omitted on purpose? I think highlighting this might be useful for users. 

@samwoo

It was in the release notes when it was released.  

image.png

I also mentioned here in this discussion so that those that were interested were aware in case they missed the release notes. I realize that not all support staff will follow the release notes or participate on the community form.  We did have something that we called "Nano Training" that highlighted small changes.  I'll talk to development to see if that can be re-introduced where appropriate. Harry Hornbill notifications are generally reserved for larger feature releases.