Inactive Status Still Assigning Work

lomixture

Within one of our teams, we have an issue whereby an individual will 'log out' of Service Manager, but the system will show them as inactive for around 15 minutes.

During this time, the individual can still be assigned work, even if they are offline. The team are getting round it by putting themselves on DND before they sign out, but this is causing issues with the round robin in the morning if they forget to change their status back.

Is this normal working practice for the system, or is there a way we could eradicate the 'inactive' part after logging off?

Thanks

cc. @Gemma Morrison

Hi @lokent

I have tested this and I found that when a Hornbill user logs out of Hornbill through the profile menu, their session is immediately ended and from that point on would not be available for assignment.  There is a setting (communications.presenceShortTermCacheTimeout) that controls the caching of the user's presence which is set to 60 seconds by default.  Due to the caching, it is possible that a user appears to be on-line or inactive for up to 60 seconds after logging out of Hornbill before the user is classed as being off-line.

Logging out of Windows does not end a user's Hornbill session as this action does not send an event to your Hornbill instance to let it know that the user has left.  Ending a session can only be done by logging out of Hornbill.  In cases where a user has left without logging off, settings such as communications.sessionIdleTimeout and communications.userInactivityTimeout are used to automatically remove these connections after a period of time which is where the 15 minutes of inactivity time is being limited.

image.png

Regards,

James

Hi James,

We have taught our staff to log out directly from their profile  before closing the window and logging out of Windows. However, we had two instances yesterday whereby a member of staff left at 11am and was still showing as being inactive at the time of posting. similarly, we had another leave at 2pm and was still showing as inactive long after the 15minute time frame.

As you can imagine, this is causing some issues and I know we have not extended the inactivity window past 20 minutes.

@Gemma Morrison

Hi @lokent

Selecting the logout button will not put a user into an inactive state.  Other than a few seconds for the cache to update, the user will have their status changed to offline, and never inactive.  In order to logout of Hornbill the user has to have Hornbill open in a tab on the browser, which in turn would make the user active prior to logging out and then being set to offline. You might be able to confirm if the users are logging out correctly via the server logs.

Regards,

James

On 9/18/2018 at 2:44 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @lokent

Selecting the logout button will not put a user into an inactive state.  Other than a few seconds for the cache to update, the user will have their status changed to offline, and never inactive.  In order to logout of Hornbill the user has to have Hornbill open in a tab on the browser, which in turn would make the user active prior to logging out and then being set to offline. You might be able to confirm if the users are logging out correctly via the server logs.

Regards,

James

James -

Sorry to disagree, but I have just watched a member of our staff (in active status) log off using the profile button, await confirmation, then close the browser and turn off her computer.

That was at 16:05, and at 16:10 (current time), the user is still being shown as Inactive and has been assigned a job in that time.

Lauren

cc @Gemma Morrison @Lauren

I have checked our settings and found this:

image.png.9823ade8994f8466faf9935ae365b878.png

We understood this timeout to be in the person makes themselves inactive by not using the portal i.e. being locked out of the computer, that after 30 minutes (1800 seconds) it would close their session and make them log in again.

As the aforementioned individual logged out manually, surely this should not apply to that setting, but please could you confirm? We really don't want to have to shorten this time length otherwise our staff will continually be logging in all day if they are working from a different system i.e. email.

13 minutes ago, lokent said:

James -

Sorry to disagree, but I have just watched a member of our staff (in active status) log off using the profile button, await confirmation, then close the browser and turn off her computer.

That was at 16:05, and at 16:10 (current time), the user is still being shown as Inactive and has been assigned a job in that time.

Lauren

cc @Gemma Morrison @Lauren

16:24 and individual is still showing as Inactive.

Hi @lokent

Could you just check one thing for me, and that is while you are seeing these users listed as ''inactive'' after a logout through the profile menu.  Could you refresh your browser, just to make sure it is not an issue with the refreshing of the view.

If this is still showing as inactive then it might be something that support will have to look at directly and a support request will need to be raised.

Hi @lokent

having reviewed the above thread, I suspect the reason for the behaviour you're encountering is due to the user having multiple sessions. By default, a Hornbill instance will permit a single user to login multiple times, be it from the same machine or from different machines and each login creates a session.

As you know, when you close a browser, this action itself doesn't kill a session so it's entirely possible to be opening and closing windows all day at at some point multiple sessions may be established. At the end of the day, you log out and close the browser which only closes one of the sessions.

All the active sessions in the system can be viewed in Hornbill administration > Home > System > Monitor > Sessions and it's possible to clear any particular session from this view (see image):

image.png

In terms of preventing multiple sessions from existing, you can change the setting communications.multiLoginUser to to "kick", this means that a user will only be able to have a single session active at any one time. If they login again and another session is created, the previous one will be killed.

The setting can be found in Home > System > Settings > Advanced

image.png

Please let me know if my suggestion regarding the multiple sessions is true, and also it would be great to know if changing the multi-Login setting to "kick" sees a reduction in this situation.

Best Regards,
Dan