Hornbill instability, disconnections & intermittent 'Access Forbidden' errors

dwalby

Hi all,

Over the past few days we've been experience some performance related issues with Hornbill. Below are some of the symptoms we're experiencing:

• It appears to be taking noticeably longer to load request lists, open requests, raise requests, etc.
  • When raising a request occasionally it can take several minutes before then showing a "Error raising request" message in the bottom right, the request does get raised but the confirmation pop-up prompt does not appear.
  • Intermittent disconnections where a message states the session has disconnected.
  • A "Access forbidden" message appearing following a disconnection

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Is there anything that can be done to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks in advance

Yes!

I thought it was our internet connection at first, but maybe not if you also have similar symptoms?!

Over the last week I have noticed a lot of this. The request list loading time has also increased quite a bit since the recent last 2 builds...

1 hour ago, Victor said:

@dwalby - I will look through the logs form last few days and see if I spot anything relevant to this set of issues...  the "Access Forbidden" page...did you and the users get that when trying to access a specific page./section or same message on different/various actions?

@Victor No, it appears immediately after being disconnected. Doesn't seem to be any particular action that causes the disconnection either, analysts can be in the request list view, viewing a request, etc. seems to be very random but affects all users concurrently.

Hi, I'd like to also comment on this and say since Tuesday we have been getting error messages RE: dodgy connections to servers. We are having intermittent issues with our internal internet, but these HB issues appear to happen in a wider time frame than the internal internet issues.

@dwalby @lokent @Lyonel

We have an outstanding performance issue which occurs when searching the Knowledge Centre. In certain scenarios, depending on the content, searching the KC is impacting the infrastructure (sometimes quite severely). We have an ongoing exercise to address this and some improvements will be made available starting with the next application update (early next week) and it will be continuously addressed and improved in the following next few updates.

@dwalby - yes but don't turn it off yet I would say. Early next week we will deploy an update which will contain an app setting allowing you to exclude answers from searches. This will fix the performance issue but obviously, it means answers will not show in search results. The issue will be properly addressed in the following weeks and once it is done, the app setting will be removed.

@Stuart Torres-Catmur erm...sort of... it does contain something to cater for the issue but I would not call it a fix. The fix is quite complex will be gradually introduced in the following SM build iterations.

So, for the time being, to cater for the performance issue you can use this app setting:

image.png

However, the downside is that FAQ answers won't be returned when a search is performed (as stated in the description)