Email Attachments not appearing in requests

dwalby

@James Ainsworth

From our usage case, we are automating the current process of logging requests from the shared mailbox, where the Log New Request function does add the content in the email as attachments on the requests. The as a further wrinkle we also have a automated general support service which is logged for each new email into the mailbox which does not have an existing reference. This service is then used to log a new linked requests under the correct service/catalog id's and the  original general one is resolved. Therefore the fact that the rules does not add the attachments and the raise linked request BPM also does not copy attachments, we have to traverse further back in the timeline to view the email in order to get the attachments.

Also, for sites who are clearing down the shared mailbox, once the email is removed the attachments submitted with the case will be lost.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @James Ainsworth The issue that we are having is that when a customer emails in with an attachment in relation to the job, the email goes onto the job but not the attachment itself.

This creates an additional task for the analyst to go back into the inbox to find the relevant email and manually apply the attachment/ email again to get it onto the request. Due to the volume of emails and jobs that the analysts complete daily it would benefit the analyst not having to do this. :)

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have also had other reports from customers adding an attachment via email. It shows in the timeline the paperclip showing an attachment has been added but when you click view email its not there. Here is an example call - IN*16098 -  25/1/19 @ 10:47. Now when I try clicking view email I am being told oops, you do not have access to this email??

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:56 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @Michael Leonard

The message you are getting where you are told that you don't have access to the email indicates that either you don't have rights to the mailbox where the email resides or the original email has been deleted.

Hi James, I am a Service Desk Analyst and have had access to these emails previously. Iv spoken with my Manager who is also experiencing the same issue?

2 hours ago, Michael Leonard said:

Is there a setting to upload the full email with attachments, logo's etc rather than just plain text?

@Michael Leonard - Request timeline updates from an email will always use the plain text part of an email to create the update. The attachments (including logos) will always be available in the attachments section unless the email was applied to a request by a routing rule. If this is not happening then something is broken. We identified an issue with attachments recently and fixed in Service Manager build 1452, I would advise updating and then have a look if it is still happening...

On 2/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Michael Leonard said:

I am a Service Desk Analyst and have had access to these emails previously. Iv spoken with my Manager who is also experiencing the same issue?

Looks like the email was deleted then... can you locate it in any folder in the mailbox?

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @Gemma Morrison

Not scheduled yet.  I would be interested to know more about the issues that your team are having.  To help with any change to the product, understanding what the problem is can ensure that the features being delivered are fit for purpose.  In some situations we may also be able to highlight alternative ways of working to ease the issue or sometimes remove it altogether.  

Regards,

James

In our case it's a matter of having the extra hassle of identifying the paper clip, clicking the dots, going to the email etc.
It's much more user friendly to be able to access the attachments directly, something that reduces the workload on the analyst as well as lowering the risk of missing the attachments.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HHH said:

In our case it's a matter of having the extra hassle of identifying the paper clip, clicking the dots, going to the email etc.
It's much more user friendly to be able to access the attachments directly, something that reduces the workload on the analyst as well as lowering the risk of missing the attachments.

I agree with @HHH.  We are moving from a system that does this already (puts attachments that are emailed in or attached via the portal in an attachments section).  Hoping this arrives sooner rather than later into the application.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Lauren,

Please always feel free to chase up on these.  I'll put this back up for review.  I'm currently revisiting the requirements and the priority of this change.  As soon as it has been passed to the development team I can provide a timescale.  I'll update as soon as I have some information.

Regards,

James

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@James Ainsworth

Can you clarify if the Change referred to in the ESP 3162 release relates to having the ability for attachments to be added to the request when logged and updated via a routing rule.

"The Auto Responder file attachment param is extended, so application routing rule FlowCodes should be able to process email attachments when creating or updating Requests"

Cheers

Martyn

On 10/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, Martyn Houghton said:

Can you clarify if the Change referred to in the ESP 3162 release relates to having the ability for attachments to be added

Hi Martyn,

The reference in this release note is the platform work that was needed to underpin the requirement being discussed here.  There is still a PART 2 to be completed which comes under development that is required within the Service Manager app.  

Regards,

James