Failed Delivery on Email

Keith Stevenson

All,

We have added new functionality to make it easier to see failed delivery emails.  This is shown below as a red triangle and count of Unread messages in sent items.  Note that this will now show all previously failed deliverys not just new items. Therefore even though the count may be high these could all be historic.

image.png

In Hornbill the process for sending of email is as below

User clicks Send Email

Email goes into Outbox and Server attempts to send to recipients.

If email is successfully sent to all recipients it is moved into Sent Items and Marked as Read

If email is not sent to any of the specified recipients it is retried (this happens upto 9 times with retry period getting longer each time,  Starts at 1 minute , 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes,120 minutes , 240 minutes, 480 minutes,  960 minutes, 1440 minutes). The email at this point will remain in the outbox.

If email is still not sent to any of the specified recipients after all 9 tries it is moved into the Sent Items, marked as Failed (See below) and Unread. The counter against the Sent Items is increased by 1 and the red triangle shown.

The failed message can be found by going into the Sent Items, clicking the order by and choosing Status. Then the arrow to get all unread at the top.

image.png

The failed delivery recipient is shown as a red mail icon (If your email had multiple recipients several may be green with 1 or more red.) as below

image.png

If you click on the Red Mail Icon and choose Delivery Status you will be able to see the full audit trail of the attempts to deliver the message. 

There may be many reasons why an email has failed to deliver (From misconfiguration to non existent sender.) (See subsequent post where I will explain some of the reasons in greater detail). However once you have reviewed the failed email and decided the root cause you can highlight the email and choose Mark As Read, removing the item from the count of failures.

We hope this clarifies the new notification.

Kind Regards

Keith Stevenson

• Victor changed the title to Failed Delivery on Email

All,

Below is a list of common reasons why a message may fail to be delivered. The Audit trail (shown above by clicking on the Red Mail icon against the message) will give you a status code showing the reason for the failure. Note that nearly all these errors will be outside of Hornbills control as they refer to the recipients server (or service that sits in front of recipients server such as MessageLabs or Mimecast for spam protection) over which we have no control.

420 - Timeout - The recipients server timed out during sending and reset the connection.  You should contact the  recipients mail server administrator and request that they increase their timeout.

421 - Too Busy - The recipients mail server is too busy to process the request. If this occurs repeatedly (and every time we retry we get this error) You should contact the  recipients mail server administrator and request that they increase their server resources to accommodate expected traffic. .

422 -  The Size of Mail (Attachments) exceed the recipients mailbox quota. You should contact the  recipients mail server administrator and request that they increase their quota or free some space.

450 - Unable to relay  - The server you have specified in your SMTP configuration is unable to relay the message. You should either contact the SMTP server administrator and ask them to allow relay or choose a different SMTP Server (Note that this will not occur if using Hornbill Direct Outbound email).

This list is not exhaustive but should cover most errors. If you have any questions concerning specific error codes not listed above  please feel fee to ask

A more complete list along with links to the appropriate RFC is available from https://www.iana.org/assignments/smtp-enhanced-status-codes/smtp-enhanced-status-codes.xhtml

Kind Regards

Keith Stevenson

Hi, 

This seems like a good function but obviously for instances that have very large mailboxes it is not realistic for us to review all of the historic ones. Is there a way I can clear down all of the historic mail? 

As you can see we have a large amount with the notification and the mailbox takes some time to load when scrolling through the web front end. Can I action these in one command and then use the functionality from today moving forward? 

image.png.74f916a7af2f999e6de6faaab96fd8c1.png

All,
Thanks for the reply. We didnt expect that people would have so many failed delivery mails (certainly not 18K). We are looking into a means to clear these so you can start afresh. We will update here once we come up with a means to achieve this goal.

Kind Regards

Keith Stevenson

@Keith Stevenson

I obviously wasn't aware of this topic until I posted it afterwards.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as Stephen as one of our inbox have over 21K red flagged. So obviously most of them are historic but as I mentioned in this topic: 

If it possible to add filter list by search so that in would search for all folders with red flagged?

Aaron,
Thanks for the reply. We can look into improved searching options going forward, however as all Failed will be under the Sent Items only (Thats the only folder we will place them in) then it wont need to search All.  As for the large volumne and a means to reset counter I will update as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Keith Stevenson

Hi, 

I too would be interested in a reset counter option - as although our numbers are very low I've searched back just over a month and I can't see any warnings.  Anything over a month and it's no longer of interest.

At least this new feature will be of use then and I shall inform the others to look out for it.

Thanks

Tina

• 5 months later...

Hi 

Was there any update in being able to filter on just the unsent ones, our sent items is very large and takes a lot of time to try and scroll through?

I'd also be interested in the option to reset the counter and an easy way to clear out the sent items.

Thanks 

Helen 

Hi @HGrigsby,

Regarding the filter of unsent items, if you go to the "Sent Items" folder, you can order by status,. That will give you all the unsent (in red) at the very top of the list.

Regarding the reset option. Is not available, but I'll ask the platform team to see if something can be done.

I'll get back to you soon when I have an answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi @Daniel Dekel,

With regards to sort out with red flagged on historic emails which I mentioned above that we have over 21K in sent folder and 10K in deleted folder, is there any way to sort this out? 

I certainly do not want to manually through all that to mark as read/deleted.

Thanks,
Aaron :ph34r:

• 1 month later...