New Activity View

Daniel Dekel

I wanted to tell you about the new features being released to the Activity View.

Based on an experimental flag ( experimental.feature.bpm.allowcustomtaskfields ) the new view will be available.

Apart from the obvious UI change, there are several interesting new things:

1. Less clicks based on the situation:

If the Activity doesn't require reason,  time spent and other outcomes details, the outcomes will be displayed straight away as you open it instead of showing a complete button and then displaying the outcomes.

image.png

* Activity view mode when no further input is needed

image.png

* Activity view mode when input is needed

2. Custom Fields:

By enabling the experimental flag, the BPM will allow you to add custom fields for a task to be presented when completing the task or a specific set of fields when selecting a particular outcome. The values can then be used in the BPM. Custom fields are very much like the ones in the Progressive Capture.

image.png

* Outcome RAISE PROBLEM is selected.

image.png

* Further questions are presented to the user

3. Enforced amending in specific situations:

There are three basic types of Tasks (or Activities);

• Manual Activity - Created by the user in the Collaboration Core. This one is fully editable and remains mostly as it was before.
    • Outcomes - by default will not allow editing and only one outcome "Done" will be used. Use Templates to customize the outcomes.
  • BPM Task - This one is created by the BPM and can only re-assign and change the dates.
  • BPM Approval - This one is also created by the BPM and it will not allow editing, only complete.

4. Reason and Time Spent:

Time Spent can be hidden in the Template configuration. The Chargeable option will also be hidden if no time spent is displayed.

If the Reason is not required for the specific selected Outcome, it will not be displayed.

5. Material Design Style and Layout change

New style has been applied based on Material Design.

The Action buttons were moved from the bottom of the popup to the right hand side. This is because of several issues we had with unknown number of outcomes. That lead to problems in the layout and after a few attempts to solve this issue we decided to use a vertical layout for the buttons.

NOTES:

* The Mobile App does not support yet Custom Fields. Therefore when opening an activity that has custom fields, it will not allow completing.

Hope you like these changes and please let us know what do you think. We still have time to amend things before we remove the experimental flag.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Thanks @Dan Munns.

We are working on a "secret" new project ;-) that involves making a new form component. Therefore we will add that new capability to the new form.

But unfortunately that can take some time as is not that simple, but it will be in the new component, that's for sure.

Daniel.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Dekel said:

Thanks @Dan Munns.

We are working on a "secret" new project ;-) that involves making a new form component. Therefore we will add that new capability to the new form.

But unfortunately that can take some time as is not that simple, but it will be in the new component, that's for sure.

Daniel.

Ooh exciting! Looking forward to the details

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

Yes, for each Outcome you can set if the Reason is required or not. That will have to be set either in the BPM or if is a Manual Activity, in the template.

We are currently debating if we should bring it back and show it always or keep it simple as this was the one of the main ideas of this new view.

Would be interesting to know your thoughts about this.

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Daniel Dekel

I think you will need  three radio button options to complement the the current "When this outcome is selected a reason has to be provided" .

• Do not display
  • Display, but not mandatory
  • When this outcome is selected a reason has to be provided

The first item is the current state with the new view when not mandatory and the third one is the existing state with mandatory set. New second option allows for it to be optionally completed, i.e. visible for entry but not mandatory. From a migration point of view, it would make sense for the second option to be the default as this is the current behaviour in the original view and we can only change this going forward via the BPM for new requests.

Cheers
Martyn

1 minute ago, Martyn Houghton said:

I think you will need  three radio button options to complement the the current "When this outcome is selected a reason has to be provided" .

• Do not display
  • Display, but not mandatory
  • When this outcome is selected a reason has to be provided

+1 this. 

We need the option to remove the field for a number of our BPMs so not a fan of show it always

@Daniel Dekel can we also have the 'undefined' hidden if the question is not answered. 

I feel like I ask this question every time a new PC type field is deployed and there is no consistency with them.

As we don't have dynamic fields yet, the work around of putting all relevant variables in the field now doesn't work either. Can this be resolved ASAP as it is a show stopper for this team going live (supposed to be next week) 

image.png.8adaf8acfd3aa17c7290981f82c69ba1.png 

@Miro it is a mixture of dynamic lists (drop downs mainly) and free text fields. 

Only free text types display 'undefined'. I have stacked up to 4 variables into a single custom field and this is when they display undefined. 

Browsers affected:  Chrome Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (32-bit); Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.492.16299.0; Microsoft Edge

I am using Win10 Enterprise, but can see the undefined text in all above browsers on Win7 Enterprise as well. 

@Daniel Dekel We are experiencing the same issue as @Martyn Houghton in that we have turned this on, but hit an issue with existing activities, where we do need to complete the 'Reason' field, but this is not appearing for existing or new activities. The activity is created on a schedule from a template and the 'require reason' is set for each outcome within the template. I have turned this experimental feature of and the reason field is available again for open activities.