Adding Checklist... causes an Activity to appear on all boards in My Activities

samwoo

Hello,

I have created two Task Categories
- BAU Tasks
- Project Tasks

I then created a board in My Activities which contains the following lanes
- Project Tasks (Condition: Category -- is -- Project Tasks)
- BAU Tasks (Condition: Category -- is -- BAU Tasks)

I have created my first Activity (Category = "Project Tasks") and it appropriately slotted itself into the first lane of the board.

I then proceeded to add in the checklists for that new Activity and after saving it, the Activity now appears on the BAU Tasks lane alongside the Project Tasks lane...

This should not be possible because I have a condition attached to the BAU Tasks lane (Condition: Category -- is -- BAU Tasks)... but the Category of this Activity is "Project Tasks"

This may be confusing to read - I apologise...

Can someone advise?

Samuel

Hi @Daniel Dekel,

Thanks for getting in touch. Please have a look below...

My Activities Board

I have 3 lanes on the board. The BAU Project lane should be empty
576605770_MyActivitiesBoard.thumb.png.412bf86954d128a49ba2cf49da02ea9c.png

Project Tasks Lane config

The Project Tasks lane config looks for where Category is "Project Tasks"
1322762021_ProjectTasksLane.png.25123c7500939d0d35e3b135a8e93ded.png

BAU Tasks Lane config

The Project Tasks lane config looks for where Category is "BAU Tasks"
234528107_BAUTaskslane.png.2923535293f9e2c1a877e3ff896974e9.png

BAU Project lane config

The Project Tasks lane config looks for where Category is "BAU Project"
36825497_BAUProjectlane.png.7788521ff46dc5f087aa8757207120bf.png

Task 1 - Project Task category

The first task, which should be in the Project Tasks lane has a category of "Project Tasks"
917666535_ProjectTask.png.9ff0a0675237c3e60be5da1811d2db25.png

Task 2 - BAU Task category

The first task, which should be in the Project Tasks lane has a category of "BAU Tasks"
998125181_BAUTask.png.38a87f3d71e9b86595f2ee834b4e9971.png

As you can see, the Categories are defined by these task should only appear on a single lane each in the My Activities board, and the third lane shouldn't be populated at all.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Thanks,

Samuel

EDIT:
To clarify we do not use Project Manager - I am a Tech Lead on a project outside of BAU so this is for my personal use only

EDIT 2:
This issue appeared after adding the checklists... but before that it was correctly showing the Activities in their relevant lanes on the board.

Hello,

I just wanted to add - I have just created a new BAU Project task with no checklist items... and it's correctly positioned itself in the correct lane, amongst the other tasks that shouldn't be in the lane.

However I added some checklists... and it hasn't appeared in the other lanes....  so it might not be the root cause, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation for why the other two tasks are appearing in all the lanes.......

THanks,

Samuel

@samwoo, we are still unable to replicate the problem. Can you try to remove the filter from the column and add it back? Perhaps something in the filter was created wrongly in the system?

Basically, if you can remove the filter, save the config, refresh (just in case) and add it again.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Hi @Daniel Dekel,

I've cleared out the filters... and no change.

I then added them back on after a hard refresh one-by-one and still no change...

I then did something different. For the Project Tasks lane, I have the criteria set to...

Category    IS NOT    BAU Tasks
Category    IS NOT    BAU Project

I am now correctly getting the relevant Project Tasks task appearing in that lane.

Doing the same thing to the other lanes now yields the correct results. This however can be troublesome to manage if I start to add more categories though.

So I think there is something not right with the IS operator... Just my guess.

Thanks,

Samuel

hi @samwoo,

When trying to find source of issue I found that I did mistake in filters, both line I defined as BAU Tasks... :(
After correctly defining filter I'm not able to replicate that problem anymore. Tried different scenarios with and without list, also similar category names - always task was showing in proper line.

I checked everything from top to bottom ending on SQL queries... really sorry to say it but can't find any reason why it happen to you.

So... I went in and added a new category and lane and everything went completely haywire when I configured it!

BUT - I had a Custom View selected in My Activities... so I deleted all the views... and now the Boards and Lanes are working fine.

There seems to be a problem when using the boards along with a view - thought to highlight this as something to investigate.

Basically my view was to pull back tasks for 3 different categories that were not completed.

@samwoo by chance, do you remember how have you had set filtering in top filter bar? what exactly you have set there? if you are still able to replicate then it would be great as I think it will be the key info here.

On 7/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, Miro said:

@samwoo by chance, do you remember how have you had set filtering in top filter bar? what exactly you have set there? if you are still able to replicate then it would be great as I think it will be the key info here.

Perfect i've managed to replicate it - here is a screenshot of the view config.
1956520551_2018-07-3009_41_03-Activities-Hornbill.png.127bbe35cb38984db7be6e7a7df28f14.png

My board and lanes includes additional categories whereas the view is only looking at those categories above, which seems to make the boards go funny

I hope you can replicate this at your end so we can find a resolution.

Thanks,

Samuel

hi @samwoo,

I finally managed to replicate it and understand what happen here :) 
So the global view is affecting all views and in this specific scenario (board view) extra filtering is added from lanes by merging view + lane filter. So if you have category A+B in view then you adding yet another category from lane and you end up with category A+B+C. Is not overwriting it.
This behaviour is intended. Hopefully I make it more clear now, but if you still have questions then do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Miro