Change assignment of task at the same time as the job

lomixture

Good afternoon

Is there a way of updating a task assigned to a job at the same time as reassigning the job?

For example - if someone was to log an access request to our team, there is an authorisation task included within this job. Some team members are not trained to do this, and so reassign the job to another member of the team. However, the task does not reassign with it, and the new owner finds themselves locked out of the task until an admin user can unlock and reassign it.

Thank you

If you add the role 'Advanced Request Task Completer' to the analysts and turn on the setting app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter under Home > Hornbill Service Manager > Application Settings in the admin console then they analysts will be able to complete tasks not assigned to them.

We have a get request details node before each human task to try and keep the assignment as up to date as possible but the above setting is a good catch all. 

Hi @lokent

I just wanted to first check if you are using the authorisation node or a task node for this?

image.png

The setting app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter works well with Human Tasks but not Authorisations. 

Both Authorisations and Human Task have an Owner option.  If this is not set, it defaults to a system account.  What can be useful is to make the person that is responsible for overseeing the area where the authorisation/task is required as the owner.  With this being set, they will be able to modify the authorisation/task.

You could also change how or when the authorisation/task is set against the request within your workflow.  You could allow for an assessment of the job prior to any assignments and only once it has been allocated to the correct owner does it create the authorisation/task.

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth - we are using the human version of an authorisation task, as we do not have enough users in the system for the automated version.

We have it set as that at the moment, whereby the team leader of the team can change the owner of the task, but this is becoming a little time consuming considering a number of our team cannot complete the type of work which has the authorisations (round robin is in use for the majority).

Thank you, I think we will change the settings above and ensure each user puts their name if they are not the assigned task completer.

Lauren

4 hours ago, Dan Munns said:

@lokent is the setting switched on? I believe that the setting must be switched on first before the role will be available to select. 

If you have switched the setting on you will probably need to refresh the browser if it isn't showing. 

Yes it is now switched on, and I have logged out and back in, so surely it should be showing by now :/

Lauren

@Victor could this be the issue? 

The security model for Hornbill is that you need to have the rights to be able be able to grant the rights to someone else. So in this case only someone with the Super User role would be able to assign the role.

I have Super User rights, and admin rights, for the whole system.

The issue is that we sometimes have to reassign a job owned by a team. The staff can reassign a job to them as necessary, but it doesn't change the assignment of the task and so the supervisors are having to go into the system and do this part for them because the new owner cannot change it themselves.

This can cause issues as the supervisor is not always available, and so I was looking for a workaround for this.

• 2 weeks later...

@lokent Did you find a solution to this? I'm sure I've posted on a similar thread on this forum elsewhere but I can't seem to find it now :(

We encounter similar issues with task assignments, for example if someone is assigned a request and subsequent human tasks, other members of the team are unable to complete the tasks on their behalf (if the original owner is off ill, away, etc.)

I tried the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter setting previously, but we had to remove this as it allowed users to complete human tasks in other processes that were intended only for the Change Manager.

23 hours ago, dwalby said:

I tried the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter setting previously, but we had to remove this as it allowed users to complete human tasks in other processes that were intended only for the Change Manager.

@dwalby may I ask, why other users have access to these tasks that are intended for the Change Manager? Are you using the authorisation tasks for such tasks? ... might be that I'm missing something here but just asking...

@lokent - apologies, I am catching on on this conversations... when your analyst reassign the request (job as you call it) does he/she reassigns it to the same team? if so perhaps you could configure the node to assign the task to the team rather than individual?

8 minutes ago, Victor said:

@dwalby may I ask, why other users have access to these tasks that are intended for the Change Manager? Are you using the authorisation tasks for such tasks? ... might be that I'm missing something here but just asking...

The task that gets assigned to the Change Manager is to assess the change, so he's required to select; Normal, Standard or Emergency

Turning on the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter setting appeared to allow any user to assess the change

We're not using an authorisation task for this because from what I understand you can only have 2 options in an authorisation task (we need 3 as above). I may be wrong though...

2 minutes ago, dwalby said:

We're not using an authorisation task for this because from what I understand you can only have 2 options in an authorisation task (we need 3 as above). I may be wrong though...

No, you're not wrong, you can only have 2 (or 3 if you enable tentative authorisations) outcomes...  and these offer little room for customisation... :( 

Just now, lokent said:

so we could make the tasks owned by the team I suppose?

@lokent you can't set a task owner to a team, it needs to be an user, but you can assign it to the team instead of a user which means any user in that team can complete the task regardless who in that team is the owner of the request/job...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 11:27 AM, Victor said:

@lokent you can't set a task owner to a team, it needs to be an user, but you can assign it to the team instead of a user which means any user in that team can complete the task regardless who in that team is the owner of the request/job...

@Victor This may be a silly question....

I have teams setup as follows (parent/child)

IT Service Desk (Parent)
----->1st Line Service Desk (Child)
----->2nd Line Service Desk (Child)

Currently task assignment is turned off for the IT Service Desk as I thought this prevented analysts from assigning requests into this queue. I only want analysts to be able to assign requests to either 1st or 2nd Line.

Taking note of your response (quoted) is it possible to allow task assignment to the IT Service Desk so that, for example if a new starter request is raised, any member of either 1st or 2nd Line can complete the associated tasks, but at the same time prevent requests from being assigned to the IT Service Desk

God that came out rubbish! Hopefully you know what I'm asking!

4 minutes ago, dwalby said:

Taking note of your response (quoted) is it possible to allow task assignment to the IT Service Desk so that, for example if a new starter request is raised, any member of either 1st or 2nd Line can complete the associated tasks, but at the same time prevent requests from being assigned to the IT Service Desk

Not rubbish but need more info :) ... For example, do the 1st and 2nd line teams both support the "starter request" service?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 9:48 AM, Victor said:

@dwalby if both teams support the service then I think all is required is to enable this application setting to allow members from both teams to complete tasks:

image.png

@Victor I'm a bit stuck on this. I have some tasks that should be able to be completed by anyone supporting the Service (e.g. new starter process), but I also have tasks which are assigned to specific roles - and therefore shouldn't be completed by anyone else (e.g. the change process/change manager task I mention below). Is there a way of allowing some tasks to be completed by all but not others? I suppose the only other thing I could do is assign the tasks to a group rather than 'Request Owner' within the BPM?

On 8/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, dwalby said:

The task that gets assigned to the Change Manager is to assess the change, so he's required to select; Normal, Standard or Emergency

Turning on the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter setting appeared to allow any user to assess the change