Raising a request from Email - being able to see the email as you capture the details

Claire Holtham

When raising a request from an email you have no view of the email as you log the call. You cannot refer back to the email if you've been distracted / need more detail, the only option is to cancel and start again.

I'm starting a new topic from https://community.hornbill.com/topic/11408-emails/?tab=comments#comment-56990 

One suggestion was to have another window open with the email in it. not ideal.

Or alternatively to have the first two forms on the Capture be 'Customer' and then 'Request Details'. 'Request Details' was then supposed to have both the Summary and Description visible on the right hand side so you had sight of the body text of the email while filling in the rest of the request. However it doesn't it just has the summary. (see pic)

wheres the description.png

Actually, on this topic, why can't the summary & description of the new request be populated from the email directly?

That would save us a lot of time! Then we can still edit if we want

50 minutes ago, Claire Holtham said:

'Request Details' was then supposed to have both the Summary and Description visible on the right hand side

@Claire Holtham it does...or it should... if in your example it doesn't we need to look to see why...

47 minutes ago, Lyonel said:

why can't the summary & description of the new request be populated from the email directly?

@Lyonel they actually do... or at least they should... when using the "Request Details" form in PCF...

Hi @Victor - Any idea of where to start looking as to why it's not pulling through?

One thing to mention, I've just set up a normal test catalogue item, and am not actually logging from email. At this point I did not want to mess with the live config. From 'Raise new' I get the form customer details (and enter customer details), I get the form Service (in order to get to my new test catalogue item), I get the form request details (and enter both a summary and a detailed description) then click next and it shows the screen shot I attached above.

@Claire Holtham ah I see...  well the description is there but is... err... hidden :unsure: ... if you click anywhere on the highlighted area, the request details should expand showing you the description as well. The downside is that you will also navigate (back) to the "Request Details" form... 

image.png

1 hour ago, Victor said:

@Lyonel they actually do... or at least they should... when using the "Request Details" form in PCF...

@Victor It does not when using custom forms, mapping the custom fields to h_summary and h_description.

The only reason we use custom forms is to customise the labels and help text.

Oh dear @Victor that's a bit rubbish, if you could click on it and it expanded to see that would be fine, but taking you back to the beginning again isn't terribly helpful. Can you do anything for us? just a kind of preview pane to have the email visible as the analyst is building the call would be great.

21 minutes ago, Lyonel said:

It does not when using custom forms, mapping the custom fields to h_summary and h_description.

@Lyonel ahh.. I see... indeed when using custom forms it won't work... them email only understands the "Request Details" form (so to speak)....

9 minutes ago, Claire Holtham said:

but taking you back to the beginning again isn't terribly helpful. Can you do anything for us?

@Claire Holtham ... changing the behavior in this area would be something for our product managers/developers to investigate... @James Ainsworth @Steven Boardman might have an idea on if.. how....

@Aaron Summers had an issue with this earlier and I figured it out that we need to use the predefined Request Details form as opposed to the custom forms.

But @Aaron Summers couldn't see the email applied to the details when raising a request... But I could. Eventually figured out that he needed to clear his cache and Ta-da he could see the email body pulled through.

So... I wonder if having a branch based on the source would help (if we can do it).

If Source = Email then use the standard Request Details form

Otherwise use the custom Request Details form.

Is this possible?

(I'm not using Hornbill at the moment)

Thanks,

Samuel

• Sad 1