Inform users when calls are updated

derekgreen

Hi all! a few of our users have asked if it is possible for them to be notified whenever their calls are updated by a service desk analyst (e.g. - we have paused a call while awaiting info from a third party). At the moment, they have to go to the service portal, find their call and open it to see if it has been updated. Any ideas?

This one comes up often from our customers (and we are 100% portal based) - we still send emails out and this is still the most preferred channel for communication with staff. Especially as they get these emails on their smartphones.

The update option doesn't notify the customer - so we instruct our analysts to use the email button. You can disable the update option if you want so its not visible (but I think its useful when you don't need to notify the customer).

If you were present at the Hornbill Insight (last week) @Gerry mentioned a new customer app (as opposed to the webpage) which would be great for us and would help reduce reliance on emails.

Nasim

I actually mentioned that particular challenge with Hornbill staff and other customers during the INSIGHTS event last Wednesday.

In my opinion, there should be multiple options:

• The analyst uses the "e-mail" tab within the request to send an email to the customer
  • The system should send an e-mail automatically (using a custom template) every time a new update (or comment) is done with visibility "Customer" or "Public" on a request

By such mechanism, we can choose which way we want to approach notifications.

(A notification bell on the future "employee" portal could also be an idea?)

At the moment, I am fighting to get rid of e-mails... In the mean time, I have advised my analysts to post updates as actual updates and send an e-mail to the customer using a snippet and custom email template:

image.png.5349230edee18030b7480de890f6f53e.png

Far from ideal, but better than nothing.

My biggest challenge is getting my analysts to stop using email altogether... Success rate at the moment is extremely limited I have to admit. Should we have some of the options I mentioned above, it would considerable change things.

Following on from @Lyonel point about a notification bell on the My Services/Customer Portal which I think would be a good option as well as having the option for email opt in/out. 

Perhaps having the notification option then on the new native My Services/Customer Portal app @Gerry mentioned in the road map at Insight would also be a driver for people to adopt this and break away from email.

Cheers

Martyn

The issue with notifying end users (basic users) is there is no notification channel in which to notify them, apart from email obviously, unlike platform users who are generally logged in, basic users are only logged in when they need something. The end-user mobile app is a good answer to this though, get the notifications directly to them via their smartphone. 

Gerry

• Like 1

@Gerry, @Steven Boardman

Perhaps another option akin to the notifications via a mobile app, would be to provide users with a system tray notification app, a bit like the Support Works Messenger app, but for My Services/Customer Portal users.

Notifications gets picked up by the app and the customer can then click on them to open up the linked request in the portal or dismiss them.

Might be something that is easier to deploy, adopt and more practical for majority of users as they would normally be working from their machine and not their mobile device, whilst still avoiding the email trap.

Cheers

Martyn

+1 on the emailing of updates (if I'm not already on there). This is a big frustration amongst analysts. 

I suspect that any app will be only used by a minority of my userbase who are regular request raisers. Many others who rarely create requests would better utilize a simple mail communication.

13 minutes ago, Keith said:

I suspect that any app will be only used by a minority of my userbase

I think the idea is that the app is deployed via Group Policy for example and sits in the background so noone will know it's there.

Then if an analyst updates a customer's ticket (with the visibility set to Customer), that customer will receive a notification from that app (much like the Windows 10 notifications) that their ticket has been updated. If they click on that notification they get taken straight to the relevant ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samwoo said:

I think the idea is that the app is deployed via Group Policy for example and sits in the background so noone will know it's there.

Then if an analyst updates a customer's ticket (with the visibility set to Customer), that customer will receive a notification from that app (much like the Windows 10 notifications) that their ticket has been updated. If they click on that notification they get taken straight to the relevant ticket.

That's fine as an alternate approach to email. But many users will not have a company mobile where this can be provisioned.

3 hours ago, Keith said:

That's fine as an alternate approach to email. But many users will not have a company mobile where this can be provisioned.

My apologies @Keith I meant to say an application that sits within the Windows task bar / system tray area on you Windows (or Mac?) Operating System as suggested by @Martyn Houghton which will eliminate the need for any notifications to appear on mobile phones for those who doesn't have one.

• 4 weeks later...