Request list available via customer portal but not the Make a Request

Paul Smith

I'd like to create a Service for an external organisation that our internal analysts can log requests against on behalf of that organisation. I want the Request List to be visible via the customer portal for only a select number of the external organisations contacts. I don't want those external contacts to be able to log requests themselves though via the portal only view what we've logged against it.....is it possible to configure the system in this way ?

Thanks in advance !

18 minutes ago, Paul Smith said:

I don't want those external contacts to be able to log requests themselves though via the portal only view what we've logged against it.....is it possible to configure the system in this way ?

@Paul Smith yes, it is. All the catalog items available for this "External" service would need to be set as available to "Service Desk" only. This way, the service will be visible on the portal for the external organisation and the requests raised against it but only your analysts would be able to raise requests for this service.

image.png

Hi @Victor that works perfect thanks. 

Ideally I'd like our internal analysts to be able to log a request against anyone of the external contacts in that organisation but only make it available to see via the portal to 2 or 3 of those external contacts (the managers). Is that level of configuration possible ?

@Victor we have a number of services available to the external Organisation most of which are available to all of the external contacts. We have a support offering delivered via a 3rd party and is emergency only is via phone. We then catch up the following working day and create a log of the call. Only the external management want to see that call list and they want to know who was responsible for logging it. I have created a service for the purpose of logging these calls but if I make it available only to the management contacts using the subscribers option I can only log it against one of them and not the contact who actually reported the problem. 

I hope that makes sense

Hi Paul,

I was wondering, what type of interaction with the requests do these managers need for this service?

If these managers are only looking for the list of requests and they are not interacting with them I was wondering if this would be an option...

You can turn the Portal Visibility off.  This would hide the service and the associated requests from all users on the portal but still allow you to subscribe them so that you can log the call against them on their behalf.  If the managers are simply looking for an updated list of these calls and if they do not require any interaction (provide feedback, add manual updates, accept resolutions, etc), would a report fill the requirement?

image.png

Hi @James Ainsworth

We are desperate to push information out via services and the customer portal for our external customers to get the information themselves when they need it. We are finding the take up of using the customer portal is slow, so any and all encouragement for its use is to be encouraged. 

It might be that they are happy to get a report because its easy for them but its another reason why they wont interact with our system. 

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks for the feedback @Paul Smith.  I understand that my suggestion would not be a perfect solution and that there might be better ways to do this.  Hoping that it might give you something to work with until more features are added to help your scenario.

It might be interesting to see if you can get these reports published in a Document Manager library that you make available to them via the portal?  This way you are still drawing them in to use the portal. 

Regards,

James