Logging Incidents - Ideas Required

Dan Munns

Hi all, 

I am hoping to be able to pick some brains re: Incident Logging. 

Currently our incident logging PC is very simple. Summary / Description. That's it. 

This obviously leads to tickets with very useful information such as (taken from an actual ticket):

Summary: Office

Description: Word not working :( 

Now, I am looking at improving the form to be a little more useful from an analyst perspective. But I am wanting to do this without a load of questions that a; the end user may not be able to answer and b; won't make the process so long winded that they just pick up the phone instead. 

I was thinking of something like:

Incident (Service) > Incident type (CIs)

> Hardware (laptops, desktops, mobile phones etc)

> Software

> Network (WiFi, Internet, Sharepoint etc)

> Other

Then maybe adding a 'Things to check' bit on the PC if they select the relevant options. (So stuff like, 'Is your WiFi switched on / are you actually connected to the network' type stuff if they have a WiFi issue) 

So, does anyone have any ideas on how I can make some kind of improvements to our current PC or a little show and tell as to how you do yours? 

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi Dan,

After rolling out our Self Service Portal to the rest of the business last week, one thing has become apparent:

You will never get rid of these calls!

I spent weeks creating custom PC's and BP's for separate Catalogue items, which work extremely well, albeit a bit messy on the Admin end with 20 different PC's and BP's, these are being consolidated into one BP for Incident and one BP for Service Requests when we have Change Process down to a T.

However people prefer to use the (reluctantly included) "Unsure?" Option, allowing users to input their own information instead of tailored questions.

I have some good feedback from the users who have tried some of the other catalogue Items, such as Cisco Extension change requests.

(as an example, not finished product)

image.png.17e317337143d3188b5ba842a87338cc.png

3 simple questions that can be formatted with all of the information we need to fulfil the request.

With regards to incident logging, I have found that, unless it s a sure fire fix for something, don't publish to users. 

Hope this helps and doesn't seem like the ramblings of an insane person!

Josh

@Josh Bridgens We have had the portal live for just coming up a year now and all our SRs have there own CI within the SR service. 

This works well as we refuse SRs via email or telephone so the only option they have is to fill out the form to log the request (although we still get the occasional blank word document instead of the required attachment).

We even have a CI for 'Other' type SRs which don't quite fit into the normal request type and that is used quite sparingly by the end users. Certainly not the mass influx of 'Other' requests I expected when it went live. 

And whilst I know that I will never totally rid the Service Desk of IN tickets with woeful information (and I will never therefore rid other teams of the same due to lack of correct triage, but that is another discussion) I am confident that quite a lot of the users will follow the correct path and in turn log meaningful tickets which can be resolved quickly, with minimum back and forth between the user and the desk. 

As far as this goes:

18 minutes ago, Josh Bridgens said:

With regards to incident logging, I have found that, unless it s a sure fire fix for something, don't publish to users. 

I am not going to publish these as fixes. More as a 'have you tried this before you log a ticket with us where we talk you through switching your WiFi switch to the 'ON' position' FAQ guide. But as users seem to have a difficult time locating the published FAQs I was thinking maybe a little prod from within the PC itself might help. 

• Like 1

@Dan Munns

Think I missed the point of the Post at first regarding SR's (sorry)

I must admit that the F.A.Q section is a little hidden, ours is very bare at this point in time.

The tailored questions we have for some of the Incident PC's do have little notes next to them, this is one way we have managed to give users a eureka moment and to put their thinking caps on! 

14 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:
2 hours ago, Josh Bridgens said:

I am not going to publish these as fixes. More as a 'have you tried this before you log a ticket with us where we talk you through switching your WiFi switch to the 'ON' position' FAQ guide. But as users seem to have a difficult time locating the published FAQs I was thinking maybe a little prod from within the PC itself might help. 

Using Cisco Extensions as another example, we have one for Cisco phones that are not currently working - We work on the basis that international dialling must be enabled within Cisco for a User to be able to do so.

image.png.bbce2e1fbecabfd447911989324aba3c.png

This may be an easy way of providing some simple instructions without increasing the length of time the user takes logging the call.

This is what I meant by the statement. Not as a fix, more as a known Fact. 

Apologies for the somewhat confusing reply, think I jumped the gun slightly.

I believe that the way you have proposed to work these calls Is perfect for what you are attempting. I think the wording is the most difficult part - How do you ask the question, so that you get the right answer?

With regards to your "Other" for SR's, can I ask how you tackled the dreaded "I'm not sure of what to put"? at the moment we have it working as a simple single line text field that then gets mapped into the summary of the call, which can end up with some extremely strange calls.

Sorry for Hijacking your thread!

Josh

@Dan Munns

I was wondering if you have seen this video?  It uses a combination of conditional fields along with images in Progressive Capture.  I'm much more of a "Pictures" kind of person and when I see these I'm much more drawn to answering a question rather than just clicking next.  The conditional fields also limits the number of fields displayed so that you are not giving the user too many thing to look at which are not needed.

@Josh Bridgens for our SRs I took the top eight requests from our old Supportworks solution and made specific CIs for them. (I would have taken the top ten but to be honest I was hard pushed to get eight).

As we have specific CIs for the most requested SRs the 'Other Request' CI tends to have the weird and wonderful requests anyway. Things like 'Someone who has now left still has a recurring meeting booked and we need to cancel it' or 'I need some screenwipes' or even 'FAO <specific IT person> RE: something I mentioned in passing three weeks ago and expect you to remember'

There are requests in the stack which do have specific CIs and users have headed straight to the 'Other Request' CI, we tend to allow it once or twice, but anymore than that and people are told asked to relog it the correct way.

@James Ainsworth I have indeed seen the video, in fact it was half of the reason I decided to change up our incident services. This post was more of a 'How do you guys do this?' so I can get some ideas on what might work best here. 

@Dan Munns 

12 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

we tend to allow it once or twice, but anymore than that and people are told asked to relog it the correct way.

Sounds like heaven!

We have attempted similar and we seem to be gaining some traction with the users going to the portal. 

Getting back on topic - 

Fairly new to Service Manager and I am still figuring out the best ways to do things...

You have probably already figured this out, however I have gone down the route of having custom questions that map to h_custom_xxxxx

image.png.d4fad59c505f37383484e6bb997747da.png

This makes it look slightly easier on the eye for the user, nothing too technical!

This then uses an "update request - details" node.

Summary: 

Cisco Extension Change - &[global["flowcode"]["customFieldA"]] - &[global["flowcode"]["customFieldB"]]

Description: 

User has requested a Cisco Extension Change

The Cisco Extension &[global["flowcode"]["customFieldA"]], which is currently assigned to:

&[global["flowcode"]["customFieldB"]]

Needs Reassigning to:

&[global["flowcode"]["customFieldC"]]

Makes sense to us - doesn't confuse the user.

This obviously only works for specific CI's, it can be used to keep a good calibre of data going into Service Manager - at least the reports look slightly better ;)

Just a thought!

let me know what you end up going with, we are still trying to find the happy medium and any input would be great :D

@James Ainsworth I hadn't seen that video, seems like a sensible branching tool for something like User Administration - Thank you!