Add scheduled jobs to Change Calendar

Dan Munns

Hi,

Is there a way to add scheduled jobs o the change calendar? 

I need to have reoccurring events scheduled on the calendar for our UAT and production systems patching without the need to raise a change request every time.

Is this something that can be done via tasks? 

If this is not possible can I raise this as an enhancement please? 

Thanks   

Dan,

I am afraid not, a scheduled job is not a recurring calendar event, its just a scheduler - think Windows Task Scheduler vs MS Outlook.  What you are looking for is recurring tasks which is something we do not support.  recurrence in a calendaring system is actually very complicated to implement, we have been asked many times and each time we look at it we decide against it because of the complexity and performance issues that can be created as a result. Bottom line is, I understand the need, but we have tried to avoid it so far. 

It might be possible for us to visualise the scheduled tasks in a calendar I guess, that content would not form part of the free/busy data for appointment conflict management but it would at least give you some form of visual aid, thats something I would need to look into 

Gerry

Thanks @Gerry  

If we could have an ‘Add to Calendar’ option when scheduling tasks that would be ideal. The task itself is not important which is why I thought task rather than request. It is just so time is blocked out in the calendar  

Basically if I can add a start and end date to a task and display said dates in the calendar that’s all I really need. 

Just so when we are planning stuff we can see the monthly patching for all systems without having to create a request every month (which would actually be about 17 requests every month) and can avoid patching cycles when making system changes. 

Dan,

I am a bit confused now.  When you schedule a task a new task will create created each time the scheduled event time is reached. When you create the scheduled task nothing is created so what would we add to the calendar? 

If you need to see the monthly patching stuff that is what would be solved if you could have a visualisation of scheduled jobs in the calendar view?

Gerry

If I could add reoccurring items on the calendar that would be fine. 

Like a reoccurring meeting in Outlook. 

The task is not set in stone (ideally the task would just be to check patched servers etc), the reoccurring item in the calendar is what I really need.