Starting a BPM stage with a decision?

lee mcdermott

Hi,

Is it possible to start a BPM stage with a decision node based on the previous stage ending with a human activity?

So basically i want my stage to end with a human activity where the outcome is Success or failure. - then imedialtely after the activity it will move to the next stage and I want to start that stage with a decision based on the answers from the previous human activity on the last stage?

Or would I need to use some sort of "get answers from" using a automated task to then be able to use the decision node?

I'm in the process of setting this up so thought it may be easier to ask the question before setting up and logging a test call just to see if it works.

cheers

lee

@Steven Boardman

Hi, can you confirm if this is correct? 

so straight after my human activity I have added an auto task as follows

the variable picker I selected Outcome is this right? I'm never sure if I should be selecting inject or overwrite? I have selected overwrite?

then to get the info before my decision  is it a straight forward "Get request Details" auto task followed by a decision node?

lee

inject variable.JPG

variable picker.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

@Steven Boardman

Hi Steve further to this.

I hope you can help. I managed to get this working and all seemed fine. However after making some further amendments to a different part of the bpm this has stopped working even though the BPM progresses fine up to this point.

See screen shots attached. I just get a gotoIf error

I have had to re-activate a previous version which is working. But on comparing the one that works and the one that is failing they appear to be identical?

i have even tried deleting the task that adds the decision outcome to a custom field and recreated the decision shown below starting again but I still cannot get it to work anymore.

i am totally confused as to why it has stopped working.

any ideas?

the bpm in question is called test RFC

bpm decision failure.JPG

failure settings.JPG

goto error.JPG

@lee mcdermott unfortunately i don't have access to your instance to look at the specific workflow but i would tend to agree with @DeadMeatGF to trouble shoot this, use another node to output the actual value held in custom_o to the timeline to see what value is being added and then we might be able to see why the decision and branching is not working.

In terms of the task itself are their only two outcomes - Failure and Success ?

In the outcome configuration are both the outcome values matching (case etc) to the rule you are then applying in the next stage - So Failure rather than failure?

image.png

Also on your Get Request Details node on the review stage, is this configured to > Get Request Information > Request Details?

image.png

I have spun up a simple example and it seems to work as expected if the above it true.

If you use an option as suggested to say if No Match then update timeline with the value held in Custom_O that might point us in the right direction?

Steve

@Steven Boardman @DeadMeatGF

thanks for that I will give it a try. I have checked that the case matches and the get request details is correct. Will see what the no match throws up.

I've added the no match to the decision node and added the following automated task - is this correct or do you need additional nodes to add the contents of the custom field to the timeline?

lee

no match task.JPG

@Steven Boardman @DeadMeatGF

finally cracked it, on the task to add outcome to custom field I had it to put the outcome to the field, I must have without realising changed it to add completion details to custom field instead of outcome....dohh. I checked everything so many times but just missed this one.

Thanks for the help though.

just out of interest how do you add the custom field to show on the timeline...will be useful for testing if I run into this sort of issue again.

lee