Summary missing when using "Raise new linked request"

HGrigsby

Hi

I have a problem with a using the raise new linked request option.   If I click on the Raise New Linked Request" button, select Incident it comes up with the summary and description, then the rest of the questions come up and it logs the ticket correctly.

If I click on the arrow and select incident, and carry on logging the ticket it skips the Summary and Description and goes straight to the PC questions and when the ticket is logged the summary is missing from the email sent when the ticket is logged, so ends up looking like 

IN0000023 - Report an issue with printing& - [global["flowcode"]["summary"]]

It doesn't do the same on all CIs most seem to work fine.  Can someone advise what I might be missing from the ones that aren't working correctly.

thanks

Helen

@HGrigsby I was not able to replicate this issue. What I did find was that when I used the drop down to log an incident, the summary got populated with the summary from the original incident initially but I was able to change the summary during the progressive capture and that new summary is what I got in the email. Perhaps I need to look at some particular examples and progressive captures in your case. Let me investigate your example and get back to you

Thanks

Pamela

@Pamela  An example of the CI I was having trouble with was the "Report an issue with case-handling"

the PC is CHPC 1.8 - Case Handling System Issue, there are a couple of others I have found but most work fine.

It doesn't seem to show the summary and description as you are logging the new ticket it just goes straight into the PC questions.

If I use the button I get the same as you do.

thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

thanks for your post. It is possible to have a different progressive capture experience when initiating the raising of a linked request via "Raise New Linked Request" compared to the progressive capture that is initiated by clicking the arrow and selecting a particular call class such as "incident".

This button (and each of the call class buttons in the menu) have progressive capture flows anchored to them via application settings. So I would start by understanding which of your progressive capture flows are initiated in each scenario.

The application settings can be found in Home > Service Manager > Settings and filter on: app.itsm.progressiveCapture . The image shows which application strings are associated with each button/menu item. 

image.png

Once you have identified the progressive capture flows involved, we must establish how the summary is being populated. There are three ways of capturing information to put in a request summary:

1. Using the standard "Request Details" progressive capture form
2. By using field mapping within a purple progressive capture custom form
3. By using the relevant automated operation in the BPM

(Methods 1. and 2. capture the summary information during call logging in progressive capture. Method 3. populates the summary retrospectively once the request record exists in the database)

Are you able to identify which capture flow gets used when you click the arrow then incident? This will be held in the application setting app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newIncident . Does the Request details form exist in this particular capture flow, or capturing the summary via field mapping?

Dan

Thanks Dan 

I have had a look and the "app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newincident" setting is "new incident" this does not have the "request details" form in the flow.  (I guess that might be the issue)

Where as the "new request" flow one does for the incident branch but not for the service request, change or release.

I don't think it should for change or release but should for service requests.

Most of our PCs use the standard form and we populate the summary and description in the BPM if it exists.

Does that make sense?

I have a similar  issue with people logging a change using the Raise New button and selecting change and the PC not starting just a summary and description box (maybe more opposite than similar)

thanks Helen

Hi @HGrigsby,

If you would like the Summary and Description based on what a customer types in, then you should update the Progressive Capture for the catalog item to include the "Request Details" form (in your case, in the Progressive Capture CHPC 1.8 - Case Handling System Issue) - if we are talking about Incidents. 

I don't think its wise to make changes to the default captures (e.g. new incident, new service request) just yet as your configuration has been built around automatically setting the Summary and Description in certain scenarios, based on your organisational requirements during your implementation. 

Maybe the best thing he is to use one of your Premier Success Credits and we can spend an hour going through your configuration and establishing what (if any) changes may be required?

Kind Regards

Bob

Hi @Bob Dickinson

Thanks Bob - I have added the Request Details to that PC and that now works correctly whether using the drop down or the button to raise a new linked request.

I have had to change a few of the Pcs to add in the request details and to change what goes into the summary to make it clearer for the service desk users.  Some have the Ci and the summary or the case reference or other information from the PC questions.

Do you have any ideas about the similar issue with people logging a change using the Raise New button and selecting change and the PC not starting just a summary and description box (maybe more opposite than similar).  We end up with a change logged with none of the questions just a summary and description.

I try not to do anything to our change process as it is quite complex as you may remember!

thanks

Helen

Hi @HGrigsby

Glad its working!

In regards to the Change Issue from the "Raise New" button - I think I've spotted a small problem with the progressive capture that means it is following your default Problem  Progressive Capture rather than the Change one. 

If you open the Progressive Capture: new request and have a look at the criteria for using the Change Process, you will say it says to follow that route if the selection has been:
Change Requests

This should actually be:
Change Request

The following screenshot should show you where this needs to be amended:

Screenshot_1.png

IMPORTANT - Once you have made the change, ensure you Activate the progressive capture afterwards, or as part of saving - otherwise you may risk calls being logged without the relevant questions being asked and without a Business Process

Kind Regards

Bob