Searching KE/Problems in Incident logging

davidrb84

Afternoon All,

Apologies firstly if this has been asked before, I search but found nothing relevant.

I'm wondering what ways people have found of surfacing workarounds to Service Desk analysts when they're logging Incidents. In an ideal world the analyst would provide a service, and SM would present the analyst with open PB and KE records associated to it automatically.

Is this something anyone has any experience of?

Hi David,

thanks for your post. The latest build of Service Manager incorporates a new feature called the "Knowledge Centre". When enabled, the feature returns relevant Requests, FAQ's, and Known Issues based on the words being typed in the "Summary" field when logging a call via progressive capture.

More information on this new feature can be found here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Knowledge_Centre

I hope that helps,
Dan

Can the Knowledge Centre be turned on/off on a per-service basis? This would be useful, certainly during the experimental phase, to experiment with what Customers, Co-Workers, Users etc. see when it's operating without the risk of putting test/incomplete documents into the main system where Customers could see them.

Looks like a cracking feature, basically exactly what I was looking for.

Still getting my head around the divorced KE and PB classes, but on that subject I'm wondering why PBs aren't included in this feature.

I appreciate a problem may not have a workaround, but knowing a problem exists may well prevent a whole load of wasted effort on the part of the desker getting this particular call.

@davidrb84 the Knowledge centre doesn't discriminate between the request classes. CH's, PB's, IN's etc are all returned if they're deemed relevant (see the image attached.)

In terms of the PB/KE divorce you speak of,  this simply allows more flexibility in the way you use Hornbill within your organisation. It allows you to be selective in terms of the Problem Management elements you use and also means that you could potentially re-purpose these call classes if you didn't wan't to utilise them in a strict ITIL Problem Management context.

Dan

image.png