Update notifications

chrisnutt

Hi,

I enabled the analyst and team update notifications for email and portal updates this morning. I set the notification type to 'Both'.

I am observing some behaviour that I did not expect.

• First, the update notification comes from "noreply" (noreply@live.hornbill.com) instead of our usual Service Desk address. All other emails seem to be sent as usual. guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox is set to the default mailbox of "helpdesk".
  • Secondly, this may be linked, the emails being sent are not visible in the "Sent Items" folder as usual emails are but they are instead in "Home -> System -> Email -> Direct Outbound"
  • Finally, the updates don't seem to be using the templates I configured (AnalystAssignmentNotification, AnalystCustomerUpdateNotification, TeamAssignmentNotification, TeamCustomerUpdateNotification)

Is this normal? I couldn't find any documentation on the wiki other than https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Notifications which doesn't address these points.

Chris

10 minutes ago, chrisnutt said:

First, the update notification comes from "noreply" (noreply@live.hornbill.com) instead of our usual Service Desk address. All other emails seem to be sent as usual. guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox is set to the default mailbox of "helpdesk".

10 minutes ago, chrisnutt said:

Finally, the updates don't seem to be using the templates I configured (AnalystAssignmentNotification, AnalystCustomerUpdateNotification, TeamAssignmentNotification, TeamCustomerUpdateNotification)

Yes, this is how it was designed. When notifications were implemented a while back, there was a technical challenge in regards to templates and mailbox access rights when sending notifications from the customer portal. So, at that time, to have at least some notification functionality, this was introduced. We do have a change on our list to improve this area and provide the option to choose a mailbox and a template for analyst notifications on customer portal updates.

11 minutes ago, chrisnutt said:

Secondly, this may be linked, the emails being sent are not visible in the "Sent Items" folder as usual emails are but they are instead in "Home -> System -> Email -> Direct Outbound"

Yes, it is somehow linked... because this type of notification is not actually using a mailbox, it can't be associated to a "Sent Items" folder. 

15 minutes ago, chrisnutt said:

I couldn't find any documentation on the wiki other than https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Notifications which doesn't address these points.

You are right. Apologies. This is something we need to address...