Setting values on automated Request

Steve Giller

I've got some nice Routing Rules and Templates set up, but is there any way to access the email that creates them once it hits a Business Process?
Current there are 9 almost identical Catalog Items, all need their own Business Process, but if I can "get at" the email all the information I need could be extracted by (*shudder*) regex and I'd only need one BP with branches based on the information that, were it a manual request, I would gather via ProCap.

+1 to this... I have an auto log email that will do the job adequately picking up from "AD Security group change".. however it requires an extra step saying "what is the correct customer this should be logged to...."

If there was a way to update the request based on some text (customer email/name in the body) that would be brilliant.

We have an email that sends to us that has the same information except for a few certain things that pickup from Sharepoint.

example.png.dab3d3650dd02fb75f4387bf2222ad12.png

This option would be brilliant.  It would also cut down on the time spent checking the calls logged to the correct person...

Looking into this further, I can "get to" the email as it is stored in the Description (duh!)

So, the process I am looking for is:

1. Email comes into Service Manager (OK)
  2. Email matches Routing Rule and a Request is created (OK)
  3. Business Process extracts data from Summary and/or Description fields and stores it in Custom Variables.
  4. Business Process updates Summary and Description to more friendly/relevant text.
  5. Business Process continues as normal, branching on Custom Variables where required.

However - I cannot see a way to extract the data using REGEX from the Summary/Description.

Is this feature available? If not, please can it be? Either under the existing variable picker in the Update Request node, or as a function in the Integration Node, with the ability to push the result into a Request field.
The former would be preferable as you could update multiple Custom Variables in the same node that way, the latter would require chaining Integration Nodes.
Currently I need one Routing Rule per combination of variables - so we're looking at 9 just to decide which device you need and if you get a phone, that squares every time you add another option (e.g. dual-monitor setup) so while it's manageable now, that's not going to remain the case for long.

• 2 months later...

@DeadMeatGF Have you had any luck with this? The pain this is causing me is becoming unbearable, unfortunately I am being bombarded with these emails and the extra leg work the Service Desk have to do makes the auto logging seem barely worth it.

This would also resolve a lot of upcoming problems for myself, for some unknown reason the team here are using a sharepoint form for Starter and Leaver requests, instead of using Service Manager.

Their name is mud in my house.

@DeadMeatGF @Josh Bridgens

On 3/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, DeadMeatGF said:

is there any way to access the email that creates them once it hits a Business Process?

No. Unless is stored in the description (as you mentioned afterward, but anyone can change this so it won't be 100% reliable theoretically)

On 3/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, DeadMeatGF said:

Is there a way the BP can extract this [some information form email body] and update the Request.

No.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, DeadMeatGF said:

Business Process extracts data from Summary and/or Description fields and stores it in Custom Variables.

Not possible.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, DeadMeatGF said:

Is this feature available? If not, please can it be?

I highly doubt it will ever be available... it would require giving the customer the ability to add "code" or write "code" into configuration this is something we don't want to do...

Maybe Hornbill iBridge (https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_iBridge) or Hornbill APIs (https://api.hornbill.com/) would be more suitable for your needs? :)