Ability to re-use a Business Process stage

Drew Davies

Morning,

Apologies if this feature already exists (or if it's already been requested elsewhere) but would it be possible to save a Business Process 'Stage' as a template that you can then insert into other processes? I've found myself repeatedly creating the fairly standard 'Closure' stage with very little or no differences from other processes.

Currently, I'm selecting every node in the process and copy/pasting which although functional just feels clumsy.

I have in the past found issues with copying to different windows (possibly tabs, can't remember) - which is the normal layout when I'm duplicating/updating Processes. This may have been fixed, but if not, copy/paste isn't as powerful as it could be.
If this is still an issue the workaround is to copy, browse to the new process in the same tab, then paste.

To be honest our first and last stages are the same for 90% of tickets so I have created a template BPM with the required stages created and the middle 1 or 2 just Start>End. I just copy the process whenever I need a new one, add the required stages, done.

I would be more interested in being able to save customised nodes (or groups) to be able to add them like normal nodes to any BPM. And the same for PC nodes.

For now, something that might help is the Group Box.  On a stage you can put your entire flow into a Group Box and then when the Group Box is selected and you use the ''Copy Selected Nodes'' option it will copy everything in the Group box.

image.png

You can even have your workflows divided up into small groups to simplify your workflow if it is getting too busy... and then copy the Group Box to other Stages if you want to re-use the same nodes.

image.png

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth

The workarounds are viable but still clumsy, although likely an issue with my PC any time I try to copy anything the system freezes up and the page reloads. Currently I'm having to have a colleague copy and paste everything and re-save so I can continue.

Is there room on the board for this suggestion?

• 1 month later...

@Drew Davies have implemented feature where you can save stage and/or selected nodes as a template. You can then add those stage and/or node templates into other processes. It requires new server release, once that is available the feature should activate. 

You will be able to access template save/paste options from canvas context menu and from stage toolbar.

Cheers

downloadOriginalImage.php?activityid=urndownloadOriginalImage.php?commentid=urn:

Hey @NeilWJ - I can see the screenshots now, thanks! :) Looks good too, am looking forward to putting this to use as will save a lot of time.