Automatic request update from email - tables & screenshots lost

Lyonel

Hi, me again,

As I mentioned a few times before, I use automation when an email is received to update the request it is related too. When this happens, only the text is copied to the timeline. We lose all formatting, tables and screenshots. This forces our analysts to go back to the original email, which is an issue as not all analysts have access to the mailboxes.

Would it be possible to improve this feature and keep the formatting of the email in the timeline post? 

I do understand how complicated this can be, but you guys are good :) I am sure you can figure something out.

Thanks for any feedback!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Lyonel said:

Hi, me again,

As I mentioned a few times before, I use automation when an email is received to update the request it is related too. When this happens, only the text is copied to the timeline. We lose all formatting, tables and screenshots. This forces our analysts to go back to the original email, which is an issue as not all analysts have access to the mailboxes.

Would it be possible to improve this feature and keep the formatting of the email in the timeline post? 

I do understand how complicated this can be, but you guys are good :) I am sure you can figure something out.

Thanks for any feedback!

Just noticed this post, regarding the table formatting, I already raised something on the forums about this in the beginning of March:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a huge issue for us also.  It severely impacts our technician's ability to trouble shoot the issue.  This is even more apparent, depending upon the wording in the email from the end user, when they include a screenshot and it's not clear that they've included a screenshot, because there is no indication that images have been removed from the email.

• Victor changed the title to Automatic request update from email - tables & screenshots lost

@Lyonel @Patrick Walker the request timeline update won't be able to display any HTML formatting nor screenshots. The timeline update is a text only update and can contain only text... at best it would be possible to preserve a table format using wiki markup (possibly, it would be an enhancement request though) but no screenshotd I'm afraid.

The original email however can always be accessed using the "View Email" option on the timeline entry. If the email update was applied manually, the "Attachments" section of the request will also hold the screenshot(s) from the email.

@Victor,

Please raise this as an enhancement request. By looking at the Wiki Markup codes, i can see how it would be possible, though tricky to implement the conversion, in the long run would make work a lot easier than having to go into the emails each time to view the table, then back to the request to update it etc.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables

Many thanks,

Samuel

• 2 months later...

Just to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve:

image.png.322318608a9f2cebcc720b33e09cfe97.png

Translated in wiki markup to:

{| class="wikitable"
! style="text-align: center; font-weight:bold;" | Priority
! style="text-align: center; font-weight:bold;" | Max Response Time
! style="text-align: center; font-weight:bold;" | Max Resolution Time
|-
| style="text-align: center;" | P1
| style="text-align: center;" | 60 mins
| style="text-align: center;" | 1 Business day
|-
| style="text-align: center;" | P2
| style="text-align: center;" | 60 mins
| style="text-align: center;" | 2 Business days
|-
| style="text-align: center;" | P3
| style="text-align: center;" | 120 mins
| style="text-align: center;" | 5 Business days
|}

and could be incorporated in my service description :)

• Like 1