Business Process Usage

Drew Davies

Hi all,

We have built up a number of business processes during our various stages of testing/implementation and I was wondering if there's an easy way to identify the ones that aren't currently linked to any of our Services? I'd like to do some spring cleaning and remove the old ones that are no longer in use but would prefer not to have to go into every individual section to see what's being used and what isn't.

Hi @Drew Davies

I'll have a closer look at this for you - there may be some report(s) that we can generate to show this information., but it may take some time to build this. 

Something I have previously built is almost the opposite - a report that should all of your active Services, Catalog Items and the Associated BPMs and Progressive Captures - this may be useful to see the ones that you are currently using, and then you can rule these out and look into the ones that don't show here. 

This report isn't going to cover EVERY scenario as it is only looking at the workflow that is associated to the Catalog Items - and not any default Progressive Captures (e.g. "new incident, new service request") or any Business Processes directly attached to Services - so really this will only be useful if you are using catalog items. 

But feel free to load this onto your instance - in the Admin Tool, simply navigate to Service Manager ->  Reports -> Create New Report and then click the Green "Upload" button and select the attached text file. 

all-active-services-with-catalog-items.report.txt

Kind Regards

Bob Dickinson

• 2 years later...

Hi @Bob Dickinson,

I'm using your report above which has been very useful. 

I was just wondering if there's a way to check if there are any requests that are 'Resolved' but not yet 'Closed' that are using an old Business Process please? There are Business Processes that I'm trying to delete but it's still showing as being in use (but it's not showing in the above report).

Many thanks,
Alisha

Hi @Alisha

Glad the last report worked for you.

Thats a good question, as it can be difficult to quickly establish which requests are stopping a Business Process from being deleted. 
I have attached a new report for you to try which should show you:
All tickets with a status of "Resolved" that are using a Business Process with a version that has since been updated

If you still can't delete the Business Process after identifying and closing the tickets, it may be because there are tickets that has a status of "New", "Open" or "On Hold" as well - in which case the reporting filtering would need to be slightly amended to view those too. 

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Bob

resolved-calls-using-older-process-version.report.txt

• Thanks 1

Hi @Bob Dickinson,

Thank you for the new report. I have updated it to show the status of 'New', 'Open', 'On Hold' and 'Resolved' and included the Catalog but it didn't bring back any results. However, I am still unable to delete the Business Process. Is there anything else that could be using it?

(Sorry to hijack this thread.)

Many thanks,
Alisha

Hi @Alisha

Thanks for your time on the call earlier. Just to round this off for anyone who is following this thread, the issue was that a number of requests had been Closed - but their Business Processes had not been completed. This typically can happen if using the bulk update function to resolve/close requests, when their Business Processes are expecting additional actions (for example awaiting an owner). 

Because of these processes were still ongoing (despite the tickets showing as closed), it meant that they weren't showing on the report I created - and the reason you could not delete the Business Processes had been completed.

What I advised what in the Admin Tool to navigate to "Applications --> Service Manager --> Business Processes" and click on the "Manage Executed Processes" button. From there you can search for the Business Process name, and see all tickets that are currently using that process and it's ongoing. 
From there, you can review each request and cancel the Business Process(es) for the closed requests. Once there are no longer any active processes against requests, you should be able to delete the Business Process as originally required. 

image.png

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards

Bob

• Like 1