Is customer email suddenly unique? [Urgent and Blocker]

HHH

Hi

We have several test customers with portal access for demoing purposes, they have so far shared a common email address. But today when I tried adding a new one I got an error message. 

Is there any way to turn this off since it's really a blocker for us for the following reasons.

1. We have customers where the staff share the same mail box, but they need to have different accounts for support.
  2. We have the above mentioned test/demo customers
  3. We have instances where several customers share a third party asset that monitors our services and creates support tickets for them. In this case since a customer cannot be assigned to several organisations, we have created them as one user per organisation but they have the same email address since they are the same physical person(s) and we cannot mandate that their organisation changes this and uses separate emails per instance.

Please remove the unique constraint again or at least make it optional.

Hi @HHH,

The new feature can take some time to be released. We can patch your instance with the new flag for you to disable the feature.

Please let me know if you are happy with us patching your instance we can do that straight away although that will require a restart of the instance making the service unavailable for about a minute.

Thank you,

Daniel

@HHH

There are both data integrity and because the email address can be used as a login ID there is also potential security issues with allowing this, I appreciate we have allowed it in the past but that was really down to a design error on our part.  We will ultimately have to fix this.  Can I ask for more detail as to how you use this and what your workflow looks like so I can better understand your needs?

Thanks,

Gerry

20 hours ago, Daniel Dekel said:

Hi @HHH,

The new feature can take some time to be released. We can patch your instance with the new flag for you to disable the feature.

Please let me know if you are happy with us patching your instance we can do that straight away although that will require a restart of the instance making the service unavailable for about a minute.

Thank you,

Daniel

Please do. Thanks for the quick response.

15 hours ago, Gerry said:

@HHH

There are both data integrity and because the email address can be used as a login ID there is also potential security issues with allowing this, I appreciate we have allowed it in the past but that was really down to a design error on our part.  We will ultimately have to fix this.  Can I ask for more detail as to how you use this and what your workflow looks like so I can better understand your needs?

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi Gerry, can we discuss this on the phone or over Skype since detailing it in writing can be a bit hard. We have several cases as mentioned in my initial post where it's needed. I will add a ticket in the success portal with my contact information referencing this thread. 

26 minutes ago, HHH said:

Hi Gerry, can we discuss this on the phone or over Skype since detailing it in writing can be a bit hard. We have several cases as mentioned in my initial post where it's needed. I will add a ticket in the success portal with my contact information referencing this thread. 

I am happy to have a Skype conversation but I also think it would benefit the community greatly if we could at least discuss the outline here, there are many others who are likely be able to contribute, if we discuss on Skype they will not even have the opportunity.  Can we try here first?

Gerry

3 hours ago, Gerry said:

I am happy to have a Skype conversation but I also think it would benefit the community greatly if we could at least discuss the outline here, there are many others who are likely be able to contribute, if we discuss on Skype they will not even have the opportunity.  Can we try here first?

Gerry

Sure:

First case is for testing. Since we work internationally in several languages I have set up 6 test users, each specified as having a different language but all with my email set up as their email. That way I can test for example using language dependent email templates and such. I only have one email address and getting more in our AD for this sole purpose is a lot of hassle.

Second case is where we have several customers within a customer organisation sharing the same email inbox. For example the front desk at their locality. They have individual email addresses (unknown to us) but also share a common inbox and want that inbox to be the one we send emails to and communicate with.

The third case is where several of our customers organisations share for example a third party monitoring company or even another service desk. An example would be municipalities and/or large organisations. This third party contact will then, since Service Manager doesn't allow a customer to be shared among organisations, have to be set up as an individual user in each of the different organisations. They will then need to have their own (third party) email address in each of the organisations or often share an address like helpdesk@customer.com

3 hours ago, Daniel Dekel said:

Hi @HHH,

I can confirm that your instance was patched and the new flag is available for you to disable this new feature.

I can confirm that the patch is working as expected. Thank you.

• Like 1

@HHH

Thanks for the clarification.  I am wondering if this would have ever come up if the design of our system never allowed this from day one - thats the problem with design errors, they become depended on :(

From what you are saying I think the best option would be to allow a contact to have a notify email address which would allow duplicates, that is distinct from their primary email address which would not allow duplicates.  Does that make sense?

Gerry

21 hours ago, Gerry said:

@HHH

Thanks for the clarification.  I am wondering if this would have ever come up if the design of our system never allowed this from day one - thats the problem with design errors, they become depended on :(

From what you are saying I think the best option would be to allow a contact to have a notify email address which would allow duplicates, that is distinct from their primary email address which would not allow duplicates.  Does that make sense?

Gerry

That makes perfect sense.

One question about using email address as login ID. Is login ID unique constrained or is it the combination of logon ID and password that has to be unique?

If the former, splitting email into personal and notify email as you suggest would be preferrable. We currently have solved it by not using email address as login ID.

@HHH

So the logic around how this works in the platform is currently broken, it allows you to login with the Login ID or the Email Address, this was done for historic reasons. The Login ID should be unique but is not, the email address should not need to be unique.  So we are going to look at changing this such that the LoginID WILL BE unique and is the only thing you can use to log in with, this Login ID field can in fact hold an email address so if you want the convenience of being able to login with an email address which is a good option for most people, but you will be stuck with the fact that login ids have to be unique.  The current email address WILL NOT BE unique, that will be what is used for email communications for contacts. 

This is what we will work towards over the coming few weeks. 

Gerry

• Thanks 1

@Gerry

I was not aware that it was an option to log in with email address instead of login ID, which explains why you wanted it unique. But your proposed solution is how we work today. Thanks for the quick response.

@Gerry

We too have the issue where customers want to use a generic contact email address, but have separate customer portal logins.

Is the plan to use the existing Alternate Email under the Contact Record and there is a radio button setting to determine which one is used for email notification/BPM Email Customer node?

image.png.9ae61254984343f4ecc75a53ebaaf5d1.png 

Cheers

Martyn

When we sync with LDAP to bring new users in overnight, if an email address exists already then the user is not imported. For one user who left and then returned it had his old network login only, and would only import the correct new record once I'd amended the email address on the old record.

Prior to this change if a user left and returned there would be a duplicate user, and it was pretty clear we needed to archive the older record.

I'm trying to work out if I should request the patch, or whether this will be resolved fairly quickly anyway?

Hello @Claire Holtham,

Are you importing Contacts or Users (co-workers)? Because the email enforcement was only applied to Contacts (used in the  Customer Portal).

If is related to contacts:

We still do not have a build date for the platform. If you need it now we can apply the patch to your instance.

Thank you,

Daniel