Adding user with generic mailadres

m.vandun

Hi,

Since today I noticed that I was unable to create a new CP for an organisation as the emailadres was already being used. We have al lot of customers that do not have a direct emailadres but are using an info adres instead. Has there been a change as this was working before?

image.png.ef52f363ebdf721bfc84fdbbfca56dae.png

Hi @m.vandun,

CP means Contact? We did add this validation in the last build. There were many problems around duplicated email addresses in contacts and that affects the portal access because it won't know what contact you want to log in with. Also, sometimes people created multiple contacts because they've forgotten that there was one already and that creates multiple timelines for the same contact.

That affects only the Main Email address, not the Alternative.

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Daniel Dekel

These customers do have access to the portal (although we use the email address as loginID, but this can be changed). But our customers are not using the portal. And we use email to communicate to our customers as there is no update reminder to the customer when an update has been placed in the portal.

@m.vandun. I understand. I will add a flag to disable this validation and will allow you to continue using this the same way as before. Just bare in mind that if the contact does not change the LoginID, and the email address exist already, he will not be bale to login because the system will take the first contact found in the list. Luckily the the password will be different (hopefully) but it the password is the same, then he will be logging in to a different account. You understand that risk?

Thank you,

Daniel

Hi @m.vandun,

The new feature can take some time to be released. We can patch your instance with the new flag for you to disable the feature.

Please let me know if you are happy with us patching your instance we can do that straight away although that will require a restart of the instance making the service unavailable for about a minute.

Thank you,

Daniel

@m.vandun

I already asked this question on another thread here:  

Is it possible you can give us some details on your use case.  This ability to to duplicate email addresses, in particular where the email address can be used as a login is something we are ultimately going to have to resolve this issue because it affects both security and data integrity.  You say in your case that many of your customers do not have an individial email address so you update them via a common address, can you give me any more details here? might it be that instead of emailing them at the address allocated as their login ID/personal email, we could add a second field (or indeed re-factor one of the three email fields) to be used specifically for email notifications, the logic being if they do not have a contact email address set, then it would fall back to primary email address.   The key thing here is we have to get to a point where we can make the contacts primary email address (thats the one they can log in with) unique. 

Gerry

@Gerry

I'm not sure what more information you are looking for.

A lot of our contacts do not have a direct email address. They instead use a generic mailaddress like info@.....nl. We reply to our customers via the mail option in a request.

On 15-3-2018 at 12:46 PM, Gerry said:

might it be that instead of emailing them at the address allocated as their login ID/personal email, we could add a second field (or indeed re-factor one of the three email fields) to be used specifically for email notifications

What I'm afraid of, if you would implement this, is that the wrong field is being filled when creating a contact. If it would be clear which field needs to be filled, this would be solved. A better way i think is to be able and select If you would like to activate the customer login when creating a new user. The contact is then send a login page where they can create an own loginID. In this way the user is connected to the correct organisation and we do not have to think about this anymore.

Mark