Ending a Process within a Parallel Process

SJEaton

Hi @Dan Munns, ok so I've configured this test and think I have grasped what you are suggesting, which I can see may work in principle.  However, if Task 2 is completed before Task 1 in this example (which may well happen in practice), Task 3 doesn't appear until Task 1 is completed which will cause us a problem as we need the top branch to keep flowing until such time as Task 1 in the bottom branch is completed and either continues or closes the request.  Am I missing something in what you have suggested so is this a real problem?

Sam

Capture.JPG

You can just base it on the outcome of the task. But if you select IF 'approve' GOTO next task it will wait for the approval. 

So you want IF blank (No Match) GOTO next task - IF 'rejected' GOTO END

That way unless the task has been set to 'Rejected' it will continue the work flow to the next decision node where it will check for the rejection again.

35 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

But if you select IF 'approve' GOTO next task it will wait for the approval. 

@Dan Munns 'approve' isn't the outcome of task2 though?  Surely you are trying to base the decisions on the outcome of Task1 which is the approve task that might close the if not approved?

Sam

Approve is the outcome of Task 1.

If the task is either approved or blank (not completed yet) you want Tasks 2, 3, etc to carry on.

So you can either do IF Task1 outcome = 'not set' OR 'Approved' then continue the BPM / IF Task1 outcome = 'rejected' skip to the end of the PP

OR

IF Task1 outcome = 'Rejected' skip to end of PP ELSE carry on.

You will need a decision node before each task so that when each task is complete it checks again to see if Task1 has been completed before creating a new task.

Basically how you have it set up in the screenshot it will always skip to the end of PP unless the Task1 outcome has been completed. The way I have described it above it will always create the next task unless Task1 is marked as rejected. 

Hi @Dan Munns, the saga continues I'm afraid.  I've done the following but when I test it and select the Task1 outcome as 'Not Approved' and then complete Task2 as 'not completed', task 3 still appears :( 

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Dan Munns said:

IF Task1 outcome = 'not set' OR 'Approved' then continue the BPM / IF Task1 outcome = 'rejected' skip to the end of the PP

I'm either really not getting this or it doesn't work.  I've attached some screen shots of what I've done.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

@SJEaton quick thought... it might be that the Custom A field is populated with a different value than Approved? You can check what value it has if you put a temp node to update the timeline with the value of Custom A filed, do a test and see what value it has... then you know for sure what value to put in the expression...

4 hours ago, Victor said:

it might be that the Custom A field is populated with a different value than Approved?

Hi @Victor, ok you might be onto something as it seems to be updating the timeline with 'undefined'

So am I configuring the Update Custom Field notes wrong?  I'm selecting Human Task 1 and Outcome in the variable picker

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

21 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

it seems to be updating the timeline with 'undefined'

So am I configuring the Update Custom Field notes wrong?  I'm selecting Human Task 1 and Outcome in the variable picker

Hmmm... the configuration seems correct... can I have a look at the BP configuration? If yes, what is the name of the BP?

21 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

you might be onto something

I am always up to something... usually no good :D ... wait, you said "onto" ... well, semantics... the same statement still applies ;)

@SJEaton can you please add a "Get Request Details" node between "Update Custom Filed" node and "Display Custom field in Timeline" node? And then give it another try and see if it still says "undefined" in the timeline...

EDIT: hold on for one sec, just noticed something else... no, nevermind, please do as advised above, sorry for the confusion :) 

@SJEaton hah, sorry, my editing keeps creating confusion... so I think the issue is because the process does the custom field update but there is no node to "get " the (now) updated value .... so either the "Get Request Details" node after each "update custom field" node or a "Get Request Details" before the "HT1 Approved" decision node.... this should work for the timeline updates (the "undefined" issue) and for the "incorrect" decision branching after completing Task 1 and Task 2...

Hi Victor, yes that solved the 'undefined' issue and I actually think it's also solved the other errors.  It all seems to be working i.e. if 'not approved' then it doesn't move onto Task3 :D

I'm going to have a go at configuring this in the real BPM now and fingers crossed it all works.

Sam