Asset Manager - "Link" fields to Simple Lists

samwoo

Asset Manager - "Link" fields to Simple Lists  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea?

• Good idea
    • Bad idea

Hello,

Please use the voting buttons above if you like this idea but dont want to post a reply, I find that a lot of users can view a post for an idea that someone has but very few respond.

I would like to ability to "Link" certain fields in the Assets to Simple Lists.

• If undefined the field becomes a text input field (where it's currently one already)
  • If defined then users will only be able to choose the values from the Simple List assosciated with that field

Our use case example - We need to define the Operating system and Operating system type and Operating system version a Computer System asset has, and since we have no predefined values to hold that information users are able to put in what they like.

I wish to have it look at the Simple LIsts which holds the following values

Operating system
-
Windows 7
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2004
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2012 r2
- Android
- Windows 8 (Phones)
- Windows 10 (Phones)

Operating system type
-
32 bit
- 64 bit
- 128 bit (just preparing for the near distant future :))

Operating system version (tbc)

This of course should be available for every "text input" field available in Asset Manager, and should be restricted per "Asset Type" and not class to give the users flexibility in being able to choose the relevant information they require to be shown.

Many thanks,

Samuel Wood

I just read the OS etc. direct from the machine (we're using SCCM, other tools are available) so this isn't really an issue for us, if anything it would create additional work as we'd have to update the simple lists every time there was a new OS version (or potentially sub-version, which is quite frequent with Win10)

47 minutes ago, DeadMeatGF said:

I just read the OS etc. direct from the machine (we're using SCCM, other tools are available) so this isn't really an issue for us, if anything it would create additional work as we'd have to update the simple lists every time there was a new OS version (or potentially sub-version, which is quite frequent with Win10)

In our case our Hornbill Asset Manager should be our main Asset Database. In our case we mainly want to know about which OS we are using and whether or not it's 32bit or 64bit.

Each OS should be on the same version via SCCM (With the exception of Infrastructure who may be using newer versions to test with and so forth) so this field is maybe something that shouldn't be done via Simple Lists but updated directly. This is up to the users themselves.

The operating system one was a simple example, however the idea is for this to be extended to all text fields in Asset Manager so users have a choice whether or not to use a pre-defined list or leave it as a free text box.

I would like this feature also.  Heres why:

We cover 22 sites and some of these are very old buildings (one site is like a rabbit warren and has 48 locations!).  Some of the sites have other companies occupying certain rooms/office at the site (they have their own IT departments for support).  The location field on asset forms in Supportworks was a free text field which meant we would often have multiple variations for the same actual office depending on what was typed by the individual that updated this field.  This obviously made it difficult to see what assets we had in a particular location and could be confusing when trying to find things and perform audits.

I carried out a customisation in order to overcome this - I created a "locations" table and forms for adding in locations.  I amended the asset forms so that the location field would reference the table providing the user with a drop down list of pre-populated locations.  It even filtered the list based on the site the asset was at.  I added more stuff to the table such as what the method of access was (key, fob, key code lock), who was respopnsible for providing access etc.  I also stuck date fields there so we could record and report on the last time we had conducted safety and PCI audits.

I've been aware from the start that I would lose this functionality with the move to Service Manager however, this sounds like it will help us (particulary if the list could be filtered to availble locations at a site).

So, thats a +1 from me :)