Enhanced Attachment Handling/Viewing and Accessibility

Dave Read

@James Ainsworth & @dwalby

Hi all, searched but no similar query mentioned.....

could there be, or is there an existing change item you're planning, to create an extra section in a support call that would include the attachments contained within a ticket that had been emailed either inbound or outbound? For time saving reasons to avoid a huge drain of scouring a ticket being required?

Potential solution

1 Add a section called "Emailed Attachments", to incorporate both outbound and inbound

2 Rename current "Attachments" section to be "Uploaded Attachments"

3 In the new "Emailed Attachments", show all the files neatly arranged instead of looking at all items in the timeline for "view email" and then seeking the .doc or .pdf etc. Have the post URL clickable for uniquely opening that element to see the email that had the attachment.

Trigger Scenario: our very senior security architect querying with me (desk-side) the location of a Security Event document I struggled to find myself, even though I'd included the URL of the timeline post in prep of him struggling!! I imagine a more efficient landscape to aggregate the data together amongst the sometimes overwhelming amount of timeline post/updates.

There might be mileage in further granulation of adding sub-sections of the Emailed Attachments to show "those sent in by the customer/requester" and "others, admin sent out" etc, using a look-up comparing the inbound email address for being the same as the requester's etc.... but maybe going too far? Or I', not and separate the uploaded into user and admin?

So possibly to be distinct in the origin of the data might be a better to highlight/organise?... Customer/Requester/User Attachments, and non-customer/Admin Attachments - then cater for "Other" where a contributor to the call might send in some associated data with the ticket ref in the subject.

This would be a stunning improvement and deliver huge efficiencies for saving time in accessing crucial data in a timely fashion.

Thanks, Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post.  While we have some changes in our backlog around improvements to attachments within a request, we don't currently have anything to separate out attachments into different sections based on their source. 

I believe that there may be a few options that we can look at.  Providing a source of the attachment does make sense and I can see how this would help.  I'll post back once we have looked at some of these options.

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2018 at 10:44 AM, Dave Read said:

Trigger Scenario: our very senior security architect querying with me (desk-side) the location of a Security Event document I struggled to find myself, even though I'd included the URL of the timeline post in prep of him struggling!! I imagine a more efficient landscape to aggregate the data together amongst the sometimes overwhelming amount of timeline post/updates.

Hi @Dave Read

I'm interested to know if the Security Event document is something that is shared and possibly used on more than one request or if it was something unique to a single request?  I wasn't sure if this was an export of a computer's Security Event log or something more generic.

For more generic documents that can be used on multiple requests, the Document Manage might be something to consider.  This would avoid uploading the same document multiple times when used in different requests.  This can be done through the Documents action on a request.  These documents are displayed in their own section on a request.

image.png

To help define our requirements I would also be interested to understand more about where you were trying to search for your document.  Were you using the Global Search or were you looking from within a single request?  If you are looking for the document from within the request, was the document within the Attachment section but difficult to locate because of a large number of attachments?

Regards,

James