Searching for unique request reference returns multiple results

Oscar Stankard

A similar but equally annoying thing I find is when searching for a ticket number (using the top of page search box) you're presented with a results page consisting of one result.  I can't fathom for what reason you'd need to see a list of results when searching against a unique reference.  I've recently taken to just pasting the ticket number onto the end of the URL so it goes straight there, but this only works if you're currently looking at a ticket and the existing URL is in a suitable format to just substitute the references.  I'm sure there are times when you want to see a list of one (Google don't take you straight to a page if you happen upon a search term with one result) but when you're searching using something that's designed to be unique (reference number, email address) it serves no purpose as far as I can foresee.

Fully expect there's a setting I've not set or a different search box I've not found but just to throw this out there in case it's another one that can be addressed in the same way (or some remedial instruction provided to those users that haven't found the right settings yet!).

We're about to kick off an efficiency drive on Service Manager (and related processes) and the number of unnecessary clicks has been widely identified as a frustration and loss of time so any info on this and simmilar things would be a great help.

Thanks for any thoughts!

ADMIN EDIT: "A similar but equally ..." refers to this thread:  https://community.hornbill.com/topic/12160-pre-populate-customer-field-when-only-1-available-to-select/

Hi @Oscar Stankard,

We are in the process of making a number of enhancements to how the request search works, but in the meantime did you know about the Ctrl+Shift+F shortcut? Hitting this button combination from anywhere within Hornbill will present you with a Quick Search box, allowing you to quickly get to a Request that you know the reference for.

Just type or paste in a Request ID, and click Open Request to be taken straight to it :)

Kind regards,

Steve

image.png

Hi Oscar,

We would of course be interested to hear about particular areas that you or your team find frustrating with the number of clicks.  I'm sure that there are always areas that we can improve on.

While this wont help with reducing clicks within a form, when it comes to quickly navigating around Hornbill and its apps, one of my favourite features to help with this is the Bookmarks which is part of the right and pop-out panel.  Any user can create quick links to the areas within Hornbill that they use the most.  Here is an example of my own Bookmark bar which I have visible all the time so no matter what I'm doing in Hornbill, these areas are only one click away.  There is also a nice little video here that will give a brief overview.

image.png

Regards,

James

The CRTL+SHFT+F option is much better than automatically opening a Request if there is only one result, as I can envisage situations where you could return a single search result but it not be the Request you're expecting, and if that opened automatically it would be easy to update the wrong Request because you have instinctively assumed that was the one you searched for.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks @James Ainsworth - does the advanced search option search through all the tickets on the system though (asin, open, resolved, and closed,   across all teams and services - the full database basically), or does it only search through the tickets available through your current view (in this case "my requests"),

if it only searched tickets within the current view, I suppose we could create a view which looked at every single ticket ever logged on hornbill, but I imagine it would take forever to load?

thanks

The advanced search does not use the filter options such as My Requests.  It only uses the text filter on the left to help narrow down your results.  The only restriction on the results when using the Advanced Search is the Service and Team membership where you won't see in your results, any request that is not assigned to one of your teams or a Service that you are supporting.  This should be the same in the Global Search.

After you click the Search button on the Advanced Search you will notice that none of the filter options are selected (displayed as grey) indicating that none of these are being applied to the results.

image.png

The loading of the requests in the request list is done in a way that manages the performance so that long lists of requests will not take long to load.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

James