Assigning tasks in BPM

dwalby

Hi all,

What is the best-practice for assigning tasks to the owner of the request within a BPM?

Currently I have the tasks assigned to: Role > Service Request Assignee

Also, if the request was then re-assigned to another analyst would the tasks also be re-assigned?

Thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, dwalby said:

What is the best-practice for assigning tasks to the owner of the request within a BPM?

Don't know about best practice but what I did for our support process is to assign the tasks to the owner's team. This way, anyone in support team can complete the task. You can take this even further using this application setting: app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter. As per description: it allows a user to complete tasks that are assigned to another person. Supporting teams of a service that is associated to a request will be respected otherwise if a request is not associated to a service, then the user can complete tasks that are assigned to the user's team(s) members. As I said, not sure about best practice, but I hope you can find this useful :) 

12 minutes ago, dwalby said:

if the request was then re-assigned to another analyst would the tasks also be re-assigned

I'm afraid not. Although they are linked they are not "synced" (so to speak)...

@dwalby

If you give your analysts the "Advanced Request Task Completer" role then they can close any task assigned to someone else (as long as they support the service)

I have a "get request details" node before each task and the assign the task to the "Owner (for tasks)" variable. This will allow for new tasks to be created for the new request owner. Any tasks open (and therefore already assigned) will still be assigned to the old owner, hence the need for the above role. 

@Victor - Thanks. I'm presuming then that assigning to the role Service Request Assignee would assign to anyone with the Service Request Assignee role (Kinda obvious, but for some reason when I set it up I presumed it assigned to the assignee/owner of the service request)? I've set the app.experimental.advancedRequestTaskCompleter and given my analysts the Advanced Request Task Completer role and will now need to go through all my BPMs and setup the nodes as per @Dan Munns suggestion - gonna be painful :(

Thanks for your help though

1 minute ago, dwalby said:

assigning to the role Service Request Assignee would assign to anyone with the Service Request Assignee role

Yes, that's correct.

1 minute ago, dwalby said:

will now need to go through all my BPMs and setup the nodes as per @Dan Munns suggestion - gonna be painful

Indeed, not really fun having to amend many BPs... On the bright side, you will have better BPs afterward :)