Show variables in report header

HGrigsby

Hi

In Supportworks I used to add a header to my reports to show the variables selected, for example

"Logged between &[uv_argf1] and &[uv_argt1] " to show the date range I had run my report over, or any other variable such as team or department, analyst or team.

Is there a way of doing the same in service manager reports, it was a really useful when you have a lot of the same reports to run for different departments.

Helen

5a71e0238e80a_LoggedBetween.JPG.7b576b85f18f979b723f89cac9e82a94.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Helen,

I did ask and it was agreed it could be done. However we went through a recent phase of completely changing report delivery and the introduction of scheduling and it appears, unfortunately, that this got left behind.

With the introduction of scheduling it really needs to be done as it would make sense in the title to be able to refer to the scheduled date/time report is setup to use. I will speak to api team tomorrow and try get this put into development asap.

Thanks

Neil

• 1 month later...

@NeilWJ @HGrigsby

Platform support for expanding variables in the report title as well as the report name used for the file name will be available in next Platform Release, when this is available i will post back hopefully should be the next week or two. 

Neil is also adding support to the Report Builder User Interface to allow you to set the value of the runtime arguments to a more friendly name, this should be available before the platform release. 

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

• 1 month later...

@HGrigsby yes, it has been deployed. For each filter that comes from a user prompted value you can now define a variable reference:

image.png

You can then use this variable reference in the report title (for example) using this format: &[<variable_reference>]. Looking at my example above that woudl be &[abc].

Thanks Victor

I've got it to work to show if I use the Date logged is greater than it displays

IT Tickets by Source - Logged After 2018-07-01 00:00:00

Is it possible to get it to do any of the following -

• Format the heading so that it shows date only? 
  • Use with a between date field?
  • have more than one, for example be able to show the date and the team?
  • use it in reports that don't need user to select a value - scheduled?

Helen

• 2 years later...

I see that this topic is several years old.  As a Hornbill neophyte, this doesn't seem to be working for me.  I have tried a number of different combinations to inject the current date into a report title, without success.  Or suggest an area of the Wiki to read that will help?

report_screen.thumb.jpg.eb9abae20f0d9a429210fd9815c470d3.jpg

Victor -

Thank you for the rapid response.  We are just switching to Hornbill Service Management, and I have not yet had any training on reporting.  I have managed to figure out the fundamentals on my own, but some of the details elude me.  For my reports, I would like to have the run date added to the end of the Title to show on the report (see above)contents, so that if someone has a printed copy, they are able to tell how long ago the report was run.  I have tried several methods to inject the date into this title, without success.

2 hours ago, Kevin Kennedy said:

I would like to have the run date added to the end of the Title to show on the report

@Kevin Kennedy right, I understand what you need. But I'm afraid it is not possible unless, you have a filter with a user prompted value in which you type in the run date. Meaning, when you run the report, you will be presented with a popup where you can input a value which will be used in the report filter, for example, all request raised before [you type in the date here].

But just having a variable that puts the today date in there, I'm afraid that we don't have. I will point developers to this thread perhaps they can add something in the reporting engine to include the date run in the generated report files.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also assuming that the variable cannot be a user prompted date range.  Here is how I set up the filter.

image.thumb.png.8295343423eb1c64243a82f4b4e0a0ca.png

Note the Variable Reference is usdr, for user specified date range.  set up the report heading like I thought it should be:

image.thumb.png.c3459ca6dd49802d314cfb367ba41b09.png

However, when I run the report, I get the following:

image.png.74078b3051862c2d493073de626cd66d.png

Which, I will admit, is a very pretty chart, but has failed to translate the date range into the title.

Any guidance as to how to do this properly?

@Victor@James Ainsworth Thanks to @Yodit for inspiring a solution to my problem regarding the inclusion of "between user specified dates" in report titles.  Whilst she was writing a quick report to troubleshoot a problem, she offhandedly mentioned that she could instead of using the double sided "between", it could be written as a greater-than or equal to a user prompted date, and a less than or equal to a second user specified date.  Brilliant!  When done that way, and including the variables start & end for my user prompted values, I was able to produce this, which was exactly (or close enough) what I wanted.  

image.png.051d5471db617b5ee5dd793c30a66e05.png

• Like 4