Force Request Categories

Michael Sharp

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post.  I'll look into our options for having a similar setting to enforce request category selection before resolution, similar to the closure category.

There are some existing options that may help.  Enforcing a category selection when a request is first raised or soon after when the request is being assessed, you can use the suspend feature in the BPM.  In combination with this you can use the Action Lock to lock out the resolution until the category has been selected.  The advantage of this is that you can create unique scenarios for different types of requests or requests belonging to different services.  The problem with the setting similar to the closure category is that it is global and is applied to all requests.

image.png

There is a video that describes the Lock Actions here

Regards

James

On 1/24/2018 at 5:20 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post.  I'll look into our options for having a similar setting to enforce request category selection before resolution, similar to the closure category.

There are some existing options that may help.  Enforcing a category selection when a request is first raised or soon after when the request is being assessed, you can use the suspend feature in the BPM.  In combination with this you can use the Action Lock to lock out the resolution until the category has been selected.  The advantage of this is that you can create unique scenarios for different types of requests or requests belonging to different services.  The problem with the setting similar to the closure category is that it is global and is applied to all requests.

image.png

There is a video that describes the Lock Actions here

Regards

James

Hi @James Ainsworth I've now implemented this.

Mike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Mike,

I will try to test this out to see if I can come up with a solution.  There was a change also added which will provide a global setting for enforcing the closure category selection but this work is not currently scheduled. 

Regards,

James

Hi James,

I have the globally enforced closure category set which works great.  Would just be handy to have the request category equivalent too!

Cheers,

Mike.

9 minutes ago, James Ainsworth said:

Is it possible that your technicians have too many rights?  The locking of the action items can be overridden by a user with a role such as Incident Management Full Access.  

Regards,

James

Hi James,

They are Incident Management Users however what I have also noticed, the ticket is resolved/closed with the closure category forced BUT the HUD stalls and catches up when the category is set afterwards.

Mike.

• 2 months later...

Hi James,

Still an irritable issue for me.  Would be great if this could be a feature added.  Could I suggest in the first instance the category can be changed without going into the details pane like the closure category?

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Michael,

We have considered adding it either to an existing Action or create a new Action on a request for this.  However, just adding a setting for now will be a faster solution and we can look to have the category added to the Actions later on.

I'll let you know as this progresses.

Regards,

James

10 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Michael,

We have considered adding it either to an existing Action or create a new Action on a request for this.  However, just adding a setting for now will be a faster solution and we can look to have the category added to the Actions later on.

I'll let you know as this progresses.

Regards,

James

Thanks for this James - I think a better solution (albeit probably a time consuming one) would be to add a hyperlink (same function as resolution category) just under the catalog item?  I've attached how I think this might look.

Regards,

Mike.

category.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Michael,

On 4/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Michael Sharp said:

Could I suggest in the first instance the category can be changed without going into the details pane like the closure category?

I just wanted to revisit this post.  Some time ago we added a new Request Action for setting the Request Category.  This works with the suspend nodes, action focus, and action locking.  I just wanted to see if you had a chance to implement this and if it helps with your scenario? While there isn't a setting to force the request category, you can lock the resolution action and only have it unlocked after a suspend and wait for category forces the user to set the request category.  

Regards,

James

21 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Michael,

I just wanted to revisit this post.  Some time ago we added a new Request Action for setting the Request Category.  This works with the suspend nodes, action focus, and action locking.  I just wanted to see if you had a chance to implement this and if it helps with your scenario? While there isn't a setting to force the request category, you can lock the resolution action and only have it unlocked after a suspend and wait for category forces the user to set the request category.  

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth I think this function was released shortly after my post/suggestion above and works really well for us actually.  We do use the suspend/focus/action locking to good effect.

Thanks for coming back to me though, much appreciated!

Mike.

• Like 1