Searching Requests

alecwa

Hello,

Not sure if I've spoken to folds about this before or not, but it's something that's frustrating me!

If I want to quickly search for tickets that include a certain detail, for example the below when I want to see tickets that mention "greyhounds". The results are not in any particular order. Or they look like they go by class, then date... but then on the next page there's more of each class with differing dates again. 

With most search results you can change how these are sorted. Like you can click a date column and have it sort by Date Logged, or Owner. But in Hornbill it seems you cannot do this?

Are you guys working on any improvements to this, or am I doing something wrong?

blob.thumb.png.3032cd03451e982654302f3ddabe2530.png

• Like 1

Have a look at this Wiki Page:
https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Global_Search_for_Requests

If you want to narrow down your research, you can use the advanced filters by clicking on the arrow on the right hand side of the textbox:

image.png.412698fad1794400024aee5eb5241194.png

It will display advanced filtering options.

image.png.e913b268f0b0887b3cee2aa2bb6fa911.png

Requests are sorted by request type, then date logged I believe (albeit I could be wrong about the sorting order).

Hi All,

I have raised this before:

I really feel, along with the rest of Hornbill users here, that the search is extremely poor. I am never able to find anything with it. See the attached screenshot. The number of things wrong here is staggering. I am aware of the advanced filtering options you mention @Lyonel and I am aware of some more advanced syntax mentioned in the above thread, but even using those the problems are significant. Here is a list of my issues:

• I am unable to add date and time info in the advanced filters you mention for logged or resolved dates
  • I am unable to sort the results in any kind of order. I would like to sort by type, I would like to sort by reference number, I would like to sort by status, I would like to sort by customer, team, owner etc...
  • I am unable to change the view here so I see only info that I want to - for example, changing it to a one request per line view similar to the Request List
  • There is no clear order to the listed requests so I have to waste time going through page after page

When I have raised this before I have been advised to use views in the Request List, but I really don't think that is suitable for quick on the fly searches and necessitates a spring cleaning exercise of your views. It makes me wonder why the search is included in the first place if we are to use views.

Consider the difference, I want to search for requests that mention the word NAL in them raised since 28 December (what I am trying to do this morning). In a search that allows me to do the things I mention above, I type in NAL and set log date to 28 December and after. I hit search, and I sort the very short list by reference and or team to review the info. Total time, 5 to 10 seconds. I used to do this all the time in Supportworks to great effect. With the views, I click on views click "Add New", have to think of a name for the view, add a condition by looking for log date in the list, can't find it so go through each option before realising it is called "Raised On", set it to after 00:00 on 28 December, add another condition, choose Summary contains "NAL", and Save, then Close. I realise that no results are returned so I return to my view config and change summary to Description because I can't do 'OR' in the criteria, re-enter NAL and get a list of requests for me to sort through. After I have finished, I have to remember to delete the view. Total time about 3+ minutes. It doesn't sound like much but in a pressured situation with people hovering over you it is horrid.

Quite honestly, I am extremely frustrated with it this morning as you can tell because I am hunting for a request that may or may not have been raised and the search is, as always, useless. I'm sorry for saying that but it really does let the tool down massively.

Chris

search 2018-01-18_10-40-36.png

Hey @chrisnutt thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one getting frustrated by this. 

The point of a search is so you can quickly search for something by keyword or similar without having to spend minutes setting up a new view, just to find that one thing!

Being unable to do that is causing issues, and wasting time.

Also need searching the timeline needs to be there too, which would mean the filter/sorting to be better (eg. date order etc).

Nasim

Great to see everyone's posts.  As a result of the earlier discussions on searching we do have a number of changes to hopefully help in these areas.  One change regarding timeline searching is mostly complete but due to performance concerns, it was delayed and we hope to return to this soon.  Other changes are planned to improve the searching as you will see being discussed here... 

Along with the search requirements we have many other suggestions for features and enhancements and hopefully you will see from both past and up coming updates that these are being continually added.  Threads such as this one helps us prioritize and progress these changes so your feedback is of great value. 

We will keep these threads updated as we make progress with the searching.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the frustrations with this, we're yet to go-live but being able to easily search for requests is often coming up in discussions I'm having in my overview/training sessions with the teams who'll be using the product. It's a little disappointing when it comes to demonstrating the search functionality to those who ask.

Thanks everyone for all your posts.  We have had some great feedback and we understand the need to provide more search options.  Because of this we have brought forward some additional improvements which we hope to start work on soon.   This will include some new search options within the request list and we are hoping to complete some other work on the Global Search which is currently active.

We will keep you posted as this progresses.

Regards,

James 

• Thanks 2

Hi @samwoo

I've added you to the change which is for providing more search options within the request list.  We normally only add one person from each organisation to a change so that we can see the interest based on the number of customers rather then individual users from the same organisation.  I hope that makes sense.  This change already has a high number of connected customers so we are looking at progressing this as soon as possible.   

Regards,

James

Just now, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @samwoo

I've added you to the change which is for providing more search options within the request list.  We normally only add one person from each organisation to a change so that we can see the interest based on the number of customers rather then individual users from the same organisation.  I hope that makes sense.  This change already has a high number of connected customers so we are looking at progressing this as soon as possible.   

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth,

That makes perfect sense - I didnt even think about that - silly me. Thanks for adding me to the list.

Samuel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Not sure what being added to a change does, but can I check Press Association is on there as an invested party? I'm still receiving comments from unhappy analysts every week.

For example: "Are you aware that the hornbill search function isn’t very helpful and is there anything that can be done about it? For example, if I want to search for [PA Device Name Removed] l get a lot of results, not all including the actual name. It seems to date order on each page of results but the results overall aren’t in date order. At the minute its inconvenient but eventually with more tickets its going to be useless."

Thanks, Alec.

Hi @alecwa

We add customers as 'Connections' to our changes so that we can track the interest on a particular change.  We use this as one of our criteria when it comes to prioritizing changes.  You are already a connection on a change that is scheduled to start with development to improve searching.  There are a few different areas that have been discussed when it comes to searching. This change that you are connected to will provide a feature, similar to the Supportworks screenshot that you provided.

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @alecwa

We add customers as 'Connections' to our changes so that we can track the interest on a particular change.  We use this as one of our criteria when it comes to prioritizing changes.  You are already a connection on a change that is scheduled to start with development to improve searching.  There are a few different areas that have been discussed when it comes to searching. This change that you are connected to will provide a feature, similar to the Supportworks screenshot that you provided.

Regards,

James

Fantastic, thanks James!

• 1 month later...

@alecwa @Paul Alexander @samwoo @HGrigsby @Lyonel @chrisnutt @shamaila.yousaf @nasimg just a quick update to mention that the first in a number of planned enhancements for searching has been added in the Service Manager update available today.

Request List advanced Search - allows you to define multiple search criteria (as shown below) and then apply this as a search on the request list.

* You can add multiple search conditions including date ranges

* The Search results are then presented in the request list where you can

> Sort on the columns

> Choose the displayed columns

> Drill into the tickets

> Export the requests to CSV 

* If the search is a common one you want to use, save this as a view

image.png

As mentioned above this is one of a number of searching enhancements we are working through but hopefully helps address the searching for and managing the returned results a bit better

• Like 1

Guest Paul Alexander

@Steven Boardman

I've just changed the settings on our instance and already I'm getting emails saying how much better it works, so thanks VERY much for this. Keep up the great work!

thanks