Remove the ability to close requests

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

I'm trying to limit the ability to 'close' requests for our analysts, as we use the BPM to do this. 

I've updated the Role permissions for the analysts and removed the 'close incidents' and 'close requests' option, but they still have the option (and ability) to close them. 

Am I missing something?

thanks

image.thumb.png.f51255c114a22212b3d44dead0f98b71.png

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Martyn Houghton

The changes were made on Friday last week so they have logged out and in again unfortunately. 

The other role is one very similar to the one shown, but for Service Request access, which also has the 'close request' ability removed. 

They ARE members of other roles but, having looked through the rights of those roles I can't see anything else relating to closing tickets.

cheers

Hi @Paul Alexander,

I assume that the BPM contains Requests > Update Request > Status Automated Task? In that case - Yes, regardless of the role, the Request will be closed automatically.

Assuming that "Close Incidents" Application Right is enforced in this scenario - That indicates that the BPM instance could remain isolated/incomplete or break the flow as a result of insufficient rights. In such scenario, would an analyst then have to contact a team/user who have the permission to close a Request? Doesn't this remove the automation aspect of BPM orchestration and cause a delay in marking the resolution timer (if it is set up post-closure) or sending closure emails? Ofcourse your BPM may not utilise either of those two scenarios, so I understand but Automated Tasks are purposed to meet a union of most popular scenarios. Another concern I have is - If the BPM is progressed by an end-user via the Customer Portal and the Request closure fails (as a result of insufficient rights), how would the team be able to track such occurrence?

If you would like to restrict the closure of a Request, how about create a Human Task (at the point where a Request is ready to be closed) that is then assigned to the team/user who have the permission to close the Request. This approach then automates the process as the team/analyst will receive a Hornbill notification (or email if an Authorisation Task is used) and act as a gateway for the team responsible to confirm that a Request is indeed ready for closure.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Ehsan

Our BPM's  all have a 'close request after a period of time' node which waits for 5 days after a ticket is resolved before changing the status to Closed.

I may be misunderstanding something here....all I'd like to do is to remove the option  for analysts to update the status of a request to Closed, as there is no need for them to do it, as it's already built in to the BPM. If an end user wants to mark their own ticket as Closed (as in using the 'it's working' button on the portal) then that is fine, but we have analysts who don't seem to be able to understand the simple instruction of 'resolve the ticket, don't close it' so I'm thinking that removing the 'close' option from them altogether would be the easiest option.

1 hour ago, Ehsan said:

If you would like to restrict the closure of a Request, how about create a Human Task (at the point where a Request is ready to be closed) that is then assigned to the team/user who have the permission to close the Request. This approach then automates the process as the team/analyst will receive a Hornbill notification (or email if an Authorisation Task is used) and act as a gateway for the team responsible to confirm that a Request is indeed ready for closure

I understand your idea here, but what I'm getting at at the moment is that I have removed the right to close tickets from some analysts, but they still have that option. So really my question is, how come, even though I've removed the rights to close a ticket, can analysts still see that option in a ticket?

thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Alexander,

Are you referring to the option to resolve or close a Request via the designated action-tab in the Request page?

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 13.37.45.png

If so, then the Application Right to "Resolve Incidents" and "Close Incidents" should be respected here.

As your organisation is subscribed to our Premier Success Plan, could you please raise this with our support team, so that they can investigate this for you. In the event that this is identified as a defect rather than a configuration issue, you'll receive regular updates on the progress of the defect.

As a reminder, yourself and Darren can raise a request with us via the following link:

Thanks,

Ehsan

Hi @Paul Alexander

I went through and recreated a customer role called Customer Desk User with the same application rights as you have in your initial image.  This is the result that I get... 

image.png

In a Resolved state, I only have the option to Reopen and Edit the resolution.

For the user that I tested this with, on their User Detail in Administration I only have the following roles...

image.png

Do you have any other roles assigned to these users that might be conflicting with the rights?

James

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @James Ainsworth

You get in early!!! 

Below is the set of Roles that this particular user ha, but he still sees the 'Close' option in all tickets. I've looked through the permissions which are set on all of the Roles included here and I can't see anything obviously wrong.

thanks

image.png.5786a3de389371b10cde443ef8244ea4.png

Guest Paul Alexander

Dammit @Victor.........fancy putting that on view so EVERYONE can see it! 

Sorry everyone...looks like I missed this one. 

However...this DOES now give me an idea of how to get it sorted, so thank you for the public humiliation and an in-grained fear of ever putting anything on the forum ever again ;)

@Paul Alexander Perhaps the next Hornbill user who experiences the same symptom can refer to this forum post to get an answer from the Hornbill Community, without having to create a new forum post or raise a support request ;)

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• 2 weeks later...