Users Asset Details in the Portal

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

Is there any way  to get the details of a users' assets to show in the Portal? We have a Catalog Item where people can request a docking station for a laptop and the price for each station depends on the MODEL of laptop they have. 

So, what I'd like to be able to do is to give them the details of the hardware that we have on record for them, which they can then check (using the asset tags which are on their equipment) and then use this to give them the price of what they're ordering (and which specific TYPE of equipment is compatible with their laptop)

Whether this detail is on a form or if it's included somewhere on the page as a 'widget' of some sort I don't really mind...but is there some way of showing this info in the Portal please?

thanks

@Martyn Houghton @Paul Alexander @samwoo @dwalby @JBasey

Thanks everyone, could i request a bit more info from those who have also supported this idea? Are you looking for the ability for customers on the portals to purchase equipment but for the options to be restricted to those relevant to (A) their existing equipment and (B) what they are entitled to order?

How would you see this working? part of existing progressive capture flows? something new?

Thanks

Steve

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Steven Boardman

I think for us, we'd be happy with it giving people options based on their existing equipment. So, for instance, in a Pro Capt, they could select (or at least confirm) their existing hardware and, based on that selection, the next form could say (for instance) 'yes, you have THIS type of laptop so you can order THIS docking station' (which would obviously have to be built in using decision trees and branches etc)

Now that I think about it, this could probably be done by exposing a few more fields from the asset details form in the Pro Capt......as far as I know this will automatically show the user THEIR hardware details, so if we could expose some more fields from that then I could build a decision around that. 

Would that be possible?

thanks

Thanks Paul

One limitation with using the existing Assets Progressive Capture form (which does show a customers assets) is that you can in fact add / link multiple assets which would make the branching off this very difficult, say you added 4 assets, then which variables are we exposing (showing), what order they are added, and which assets variables are we making the branching on, so using progressive capture would probably involve a new form at a minimum where only singular items can be chosen, then  exposing of that assets attributes for branching etc.

I am sure there are a number of different approaches which could be looked at for this challenge, and it is good to get as much input from those that are interested

Thanks

Steve