Failed to apply email to request error

alecwa

Hello! 

At least once a day our service desk receive the below error when attaching an email to a request. The only way to do it is to copy and paste it manually into the request.

Any idea how we can figure out why this is occurring?

Thanks.

image.png

@alecwa firstly, please note that I edited your screenshot and removed some sensitive information presented there (there was a visible email address). Please be aware the Hornbill section of our forums is publicly available... It means anyone with internet access can see these posts... Obviously posting on Hornbill forums is restricted to registered users but visibility is available to anyone... Needless to say why is not a good idea to have visible sensitive information (such as email addresses, phone numbers, etc.)...

Now, regarding the issue, most likely the email failed to be applied to request due to the amount of text in that email... I counted around 9K characters in the email which most likely will exceed the limit of characters allowed for a request timeline update. The limit of a timeline update or a post in a workspace (they share the same logic) is managed by this system setting: buzz.activity.post.maxTextSize (in Admin tool: Home - System Settings - Advanced).

My suggestions:

• advise the users to try and edit the text being applied to the request, for example only keep the laters reply in the email trail and remove the rest. The original (full) email is still available via the "View Email" option on the request timeline.
  • increase the max allowed text size for a timeline update or workspace post to accommodate larger updates.

I personally prefer the first option as it creates less cluttered request timelines.

• Thanks 1

@alecwa looking into this issue in bit more detail, we found scenarios where the cause for the error is not actually the large text... I also understand from our dev team that when an email text exceeds the max text allowed for a post is automatically truncated so it might be the case the errors you experience are not related to the large email text... So we are now fixing this, please bear with us (in case the issue reoccurs and is not related to a large text ...)

Hi @Victor I just tested this with a member of our CS. The error came up, she deleted half the text, then it let her add the email successfully. So in this case I can confirm it was too much text. Not that this can be the only reason for the error obviously!

@alecwa I think is a "dormant" issue which gets triggered by the large text... no large text, the issue lays dormant... but, like I said, the large text itself should work fine since or should not cause an error it is (or should) be automatically truncated when the timeline entry is created... I'm not making too much sense nowadays, I need a holiday.... *sigh

22 minutes ago, Victor said:

@alecwa I think is a "dormant" issue which gets triggered by the large text... no large text, the issue lays dormant... but, like I said, the large text itself should work fine since or should not cause an error it is (or should) be automatically truncated when the timeline entry is created... I'm not making too much sense nowadays, I need a holiday.... *sigh

Me too :D

Clearing the text from the email chain and just keeping the latest message seems to work for us too. But as you said @Victor (or tried to :ph34r:)there is maybe an underlying issue here.

• 7 months later...
  • Victor changed the title to Failed to apply email to request error