Changes logged with no catalog

Dan Munns

Hi all, 

I have been messing about with reports for our change process and have noticed the numbers didn't add up. 

Upon further investigation I have 5 changes which have been logged by 2 seperate users that have no catalog attached to them. 

I have asked them and they have been logged in the following ways:

• Select 'Raise New' 
  • Select dropdown next to 'Raise New'
  • Select 'Create linked Request' from within another request

Other than they have all been logged by only two users I can't work out what makes them different and why they have no catalog attached. They have been logged between 09/11/2017 and 03/01/2018, 4 of the 5 have no customer etc. They all use the correct BPM it just seems to be catalog is the only thing missing. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks 

Dan

@Dan Munns just a couple of suggestions

Because they have used both the Raise New  and the Raise Change they will have followed different PC's (One linked to raise new, and one to new change - drop down and linked request), what do the PC's look like in terms of questions?  

Have they chosen the Service rather than a catalog item? is the business process linked to the service as well as individual catalog items?

Just some thoughts?

@Steven Boardman ok so under app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newChange I have changed the PC to the same one as service requests (all that PC does is customer select, catalog item select) but when I select change i see all services. When I select service request I only see some of the services.

Any idea why that is?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

@Dan Munns 

4 hours ago, Dan Munns said:

when I select change i see all services. When I select service request I only see some of the services.

...most likely because of this setting:

image.png

Because this is enabled, when you raise an SR, the services displayed will (also) be filtered be the ones that have (at least) a catalog item configured for request type "Service Request"... Change Requests seem not follow the same logic, I think because they did not use to have catalog items, until recently... If this is the correct behavior or not, I do not know right now... perhaps Steven can help us here ;) 

I thought it was a setting but found it already and it is set correctly

Capture.PNG

It just means that analysts logging change requests can see all the email alert services I have (and have some how managed to log calls against even though they are named Email Alerts - Dept which I would assume was self explanatory what they were for)  

Oh well :( 

To be honest I have them all set to follow the same PC 

• app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newServiceRequest
  • app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newSelfService
  • app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newRequest - I am assuming this is the 'Raise New' PC
  • app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newIncident
  • app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newChange
  • all use the PC 'Service Desk - Quick Select' which literally just does customer and catalog selection. It is only the change which seems to behave differently. 

As you said hopefully Steven can help at some point.

1 minute ago, Dan Munns said:

app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newRequest - I am assuming this is the 'Raise New' PC

Yes.

1 minute ago, Dan Munns said:

It is only the change which seems to behave differently.

Could be some code logic (correct or incorrect) that when this specific option is selected the "catalog required" application setting is bypassed or something...

@Dan Munns I tihnk @Victor is on the right track, there is a system setting which if enabled should only show services on the services details PC form if the services have catalog items defined against them.  It applies for Incidents and SR's but it looks like it is not being applied for Changes hence why you are seeing different services displayed when raising a change compared to an SR as the same analyst. 

image.png

I have asked the team to look into the issue and see if it can be addressed. 

I will also raise the idea of an option to hide the drop down list next to the Raise New button so that if required you can force requests to be logged using this route, i will let you know how this goes

Steve

Hi @Steven Boardman 

Thanks for that. The ability to remove the drop down would be a great change for us as it will negate the issue of analysts accidently logging tickets using the service rather than the catalog.

Even with the setting mentioned above set if you use the drop down you can bypass it by selecting a service with no services of the selected ticket type. 

I have mentioned it before and realise that this is by design so the removal of the drop down would solve all our problems (as far as logging tickets using the service goes anyway) 

@Dan Munns yes that is correct, it will only show the session analyst the services which they support (based on their team memberships).  This is really designed for environments where you have say IT, HR, Facilities all defining and managing their own services, and it is only relevant for agents in the teams in each department to see the services which they support not a long list of services which the whole business provides. 

As your's was set to Off it would seem it is not a contributing factor here, re the difference in the services displayed when logging SR's compared to Changes. 

The team are looking into system setting and looking at expanding this to all request types not just SR's and Incidents where catalog items are used. 

image.png

@Dan Munns just to say the inconsistencies between the displayed services between changes and service requests has been fixed and will be included in an SM update shortly, this may not be the next one due in the next couple of days but should be the update following that.

We have the story as well to hide the request type drop down options and will post back on this separately as it progresses 

• 3 months later...

@Dan Munns a quick update on this thread, two changes will be released in a Service Manager update shortly (next two weeks subject to testing)

1. An option to Disable the drop down list of request types and only show the Raise New option  - this will be off by default but when enabled will only display the Raise New button

2. An option to Disable request types on each service meaning the following behaviour will be possible in progressive capture

• If a request type form is used in progressive capture and the services form follows, the services displayed will only show where the request type on the service is enabled.
  • If a particular request type is selected from the Raise New menu then the ProCap Service form should only show services that allow that type of request
  • If the Service Form comes before the Request Type form, the Request Type form should only show the request types that are enabled on the selected service

Hopefully this will hep with the issues above and will allow you to control better how requests are raised and what is displayed in progressive capture.  

keep an eye out for the release notes

Steve

• 2 months later...

This is now available in the live environment.  The new setting can be changed within Administration under Hornbill Service Manager->Settings

app.request.raiseNew.limit

This will remove the option to raise specific request types from the Raise New buttons resulting in the same root progressive capture being used.

Regards,

James