New manager, new rules

derekgreen

Hi. We have a new manager who has requested some changes to the way we do things - not completely unexpected! What I want to do is prevent all but three of the team from being able to close down Service Requests and Incidents - we are happy for the other agents to resolve calls but we only want team leaders to be able to close them. I have already looked at the roles assigned to each agent, I think it may be a matter of removing those affected from the Incident Manager/ Service Request user roles and just leaving them as assignees. Any suggestions?

Hi Martin - thanks for your reply. I'm assuming that you created the 'close incidents' role yourselves as it isn't an option on Hornbill administration. I've had a look just now at creating a new role, are there any pointers you can give me towards creating it properly?

@derekgreen my recommendation would be to take an existing role and strip out what you don't need/want ... creating a role from scratch is much more complex, just thinking about the DB rights.. unless you really know the system, it will take forever to sort out all the required tables :) 

Martyn can confirm (or not ?! :) ) since he created such custom roles... more than I did anyway... 

@derekgreen, @Victor

We created two copies of the default 'Incident Management User' using the 'Copy' option in System>Organisational Data>Roles, one for normal analysts and one for managers. Then we either removed any existing application rights or added them as required to the roles.

The reason we created two roles, rather than just using the standard one and one custom one, was that we wanted to modify the rights for both types of users.

We now have a number of different 'sets'  of these , as we are bringing different divisions of the organisation on to the same platform, so they have different approaches to what their teams should be able to do.

Cheers

Martyn

@DeadMeatGF to be fair roles and rights in Hornbill offer a larger range of options and more flexibility than Supportworks, so naturally is a bit more complex to set them up from scratch... not to mention some (if not most) areas of Service Manager are much more complex than Supportworks...