Automatically set logging category BPM

dwalby

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to automatically set the logging category for requests logged via the portal?

Currently I have a BPM for each service, then have a decision at the beginning which determines the Service Category, followed by an automated task to set the logging category as appropriate. Not actually tested this yet, but assuming it'll work, my only problem being is that I'll need to follow this same logic for each service we have. I understand this could be saved/copied as a template but just wanted to make sure I wasn't over complicating what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance

@dwalby i will ask the question if we could look at something like giving you the option to pick a logging category when you are configuring each catalog item.

On that topic the Service and Catalog item are already automatically associated to a request when logged, and you can do things such as:

* Route based on service / catalog item

* Report on service / catalog item 

* Make decisions in the business process based on Service / Catalog item

* Are available on the request list columns / views builders 

So at some level they work in the same way as the categories so just keen to see what else you use the categories for or if the catalog items give you a lot of the same benefits as the categories so just seeing if this would save you some config time if they are appropriate for what you need?

Steve

@Steven Boardman - I suspect we'll be running reports on 'Logging Category' in order to perform trend analysis of 'what's breaking' and 'what are users requesting'.

Unless I create the BPMs as I detailed previously, I assume it'd mean us running 2 reports to achieve this (A 'Logging Category' report & a 'Service Catalog Item' report)?  

@dwalby i suppose it would depend on if your categories mirror your catalog items and if this is the case you could just report on the catalog items but if your categories are different then you may need to add the relevant category via the business processes linked to your catalog items. 

I will raise the question about a config option to add a category when creating a catalog item and post back here any updates

Steve 

@Steven Boardman - Thanks, I think in the cases of Service Request Catalog items we'd want the logging category set automatically, but for Incidents the logging category is likely to vary somewhat.

Until there's an option to add category based on catalog item I'll just set it following a decision node within the BPM for now.

Thanks for your help on this.