Not so Simple Lists - extra fields

Martyn Houghton

It would be useful to have the ability to add additional non-display fields or varying types (i.e. like the request custom details fields) to the current simple list facility, which can then be accessed via the BPM workflow in decision nodes, automated tasks and integration calls.

This would make the BPM more 'programmable' based on the additional fields values selected by the select made in the simple list. From a display point of view in terms of the Progressive Capture or request custom fields, they would display as they do now, as the additional values for each row would not need to be displayed, only retrievable via a BPM node, 'Get List Fields'.

Cheers

Martyn

@Gerry

Within the Progressive Capture, the end users select's a value from a list like they would do now from a simple list. This could be a list of software patches, laptop/mobile type, security role/team membership, job role, salary grade etc.

Based on the on the entry in the list, the BPM process is then able to retrieve additional columns (which you populate when creating the entry) from the row selected in the list to be used in the BPM nodes such as decision or integration nodes. These values can then be used in decision node condition nodes to call a specific process route or be passed on a variable in the webhook/integration node to initiate adding a user to AD with specific role memberships or creating a link to a software patch for the customer to download.

The aim is to be able to 'program' the BPM process to be able to be used for multiple operations, using a list which is managed, without the need hard-code the behaviour into the BPM, every time you want to create a new option.

Cheers

Martyn

• 1 month later...

Martyn,

We have had a look at this and at the moment at least extending simple lists beyond what they are would not work.  Ultimately in use, the PC and BPM just see a simple lists selection as the selection of a predefined set of values, there would be an awful lot of changes needed to make the overall system pass the additional attributes through to the BPM context.  I understand what you are trying to achieve and it does make sense but in a way you also need what we used to call "Managed Entities" in Supportworks, this is something we are looking at developing as part of our overall ESM strategy so I will make a note of this requirement and when we get close to anything I can share with you I will repost.

Gerry