donoreply@hornbill.com [Undeliverable email notifications]

chrisnutt

Hi,

After I applied the 1101 update this morning, email notifications for requests assigned to teams/individuals have started being sent to donoreply@hornbill.com and BCC'ing all the people the email is going actually to, rather than sending emails to each person individually.

This would be fine, except it is now generating Undeliverable NDR messages to our mailboxes every time saying "Unknown To Address - donoreply wasn't found at hornbill.com".

Is anyone else seeing these? Can this be fixed urgently as it is clogging up the mailboxes.

Thanks

Chris

Hi @chrisnutt,

Apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing.

The change of behaviour that you're referring to, was introduced in Service Manager update 1101.

The change involved improving the performance of the operation that sends an email notification to each member of a team that a Request is assigned to. Prior to this change, the operation sent a separate email to each member of a team and depending on the size of the team, the operation could take longer. This then affected the performance of other areas of the product during peak hours. Also, consider an example where there are 10 users in a team - There would be 10 messages in the Sent folder of your designated mailbox.

As this approach is inefficient, we made a decision to send one email, with all members of a team included in the BCC property. The server API required the TO property to be populated, hence the reason for "donotreply@hornbill.com". As this restriction is not required, it has been removed from the server API but the server change will not be available until mid-January, so the decision was to make the Service Manager update available sooner than later. As this is causing inconvenience for you, I will revert the change and re-introduce it in mid-January along with the server update.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Hi Ehsan,

Thanks. I totally understand the reasoning behind this.

It is worth mentioning though that the address messages are being sent to is doNOreply rather than doNOTreply and I wonder if this is responsible for the NDRs we are seeing?

Chris

Thanks @chrisnutt, we also spotted this too but as neither of those addresses are registered in the Hornbill domain, you'll receive a bounce-back email. Either than reverting the change, I'm afraid there is no other way around it until mid-January ! :(

@chrisnutt we are addressing the issue in a patch we preparing for tomorrow. The change in build 1101 (the one you applied in the morning) meant that analyst notifications were sent only once using all analyst email addresses in the BCC field (rather then a separate email for each team member). This issues arose from this, which we did not spot during testing. Therefore the patch tomorrow will send the notifications using the TO field rather than BCC. We don't see this (i.e. email address) as a (visibility/confidentiality) issue between members of the same team.

• Victor changed the title to donoreply@hornbill.com [Undeliverable email notifications]