Wait for Request Update Node not Waiting

SJEaton

11 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

I am assuming that the Update A node in your screenshot sees the previous node as an update and the BPM moves on to Update B where it is truly in a suspend state and will not move until a further update (by user or analyst), is that correct? 

Am I correct in also assuming that the first update node is there to cover any requests that have had no updates since logging?

Yes and Yes :)

11 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

Sorry but can you explain the logic of this?

It is a bit convoluted and I really really try to avoid putting too much technicality in posts... Happy to explain you over a PM if you like but I much rather go with your above explanation for why the configuration... :) 

1 minute ago, Victor said:

I much rather go with your above explanation for why the configuration... :) 

Thats cool. As long as I got it kind of right I can work it in my head when using it. I just don't like doing things if I don't understand how it works. Makes trouble shooting/fault finding a nightmare. :) 

@Dan Munns you actually got it very right, spot on both! :) ... And you're also right, I should have tried to at least put some friendly description there ... Probably I just thought of the technical one which being quite complicated I said better without... *sigh...

Hi @Victor, thanks for the update and guidance, I'm just catching up after a holiday so will have a go when I get a minute and let you know how it goes.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, Victor said:

I really really try to avoid putting too much technicality in posts

I'm really really glad! I definitely like it all laid out in user friendly descriptions so my brain doesn't melt haha :)

Sam

Hi @Victor, ok so I've tested this out and it does work in the fact that it does wait.  However, when the update comes in from the linked request, it doesn't move the process on ie update the timeline with 'The BP is now resumed' (I left this in to see if it worked) or do the next steps in my test process.   

My test BPM is called 'HRA I Want to Appoint Process - v7.0 (to test linked requests suspend and update)' and it's on the 'On-boarding - New Starter' stage where I've configured what you suggested.  The ref no of the test request is SR00037440 and the linked request it raised is SR00037443.  The BP for the linked request (HRA Unlock Payroll) updates the original request timeline when a HT is actioned and this update is what I want to then move the original request process on to the next task.  Hopefully you can take a look and advise what's missing?

Sam

@SJEaton I have a theory of why this did not work... may I ask you to run some (quick) tests, please?

1. Can you make a manual update on SR00037440? I suspect the process will resume after this...

2. Can you redo the test and for this test amend the "HRA Unlock Payroll" process and remove the "update linked request" node. Instead of this make a manual update on the request (like above)? Again, I suspect the process will resume following the manual update instead of the automated one...

If both of the above are confirmed then most likely I will have to go back to dev team and te them updates form linked requests do not resume a "suspend wait for update" node...

Hi @Victor

1) yes it resumed when I did a manual update

2) the thing about this one is that it would defeat the object of what I'm trying to achieve i.e. the request owner for unlock payroll request wont have to worry about updating the I Want to Appoint request as the process will do that automatically   

Sam

@SJEaton so, I had a chat with our dev team and they confirmed a defect in which only updates from the user app (manual updates) or updates made via the portal will trigger a process resume. Update made via other sources, such as a linked request, do not trigger a process resume, and this is our issue... They are working to have it fixed now.

So, if you haven't got a chance to test further, there is no need for it...

@SJEaton thanks :) ... the devs already confirmed the defect (as I went ahead and presented the scenario to them) .. I do apologise I asked for the test and I was hoping my message (that is no longer necessary) got to you before you got a chance to do it... Sorry ... :unsure:

@SJEaton just heard back from dev team on this, the fix will be available in next Service Manager update. Just keep an eye on this reference "PM00151314-  Updating linked requests via BPM doesn't resume the linked requests BPM" just in case I miss it or I am late in updating you :)

@Dan Munns mmm... how is that authorisation performed? Apologies, I should know this but I don't :( The only update that makes the BPM move forward is an update made on the portal, by a user/contact or a manual update made by a user via the user/live app. If the authorisation produces an update with a different "source" than the ones mentioned, then no, it won't move it forward... not until the fix is available...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...