Wait for Request Update Node not Waiting

SJEaton

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Martyn Houghton said:

or look at using a sub-status for this period of the request lifecycle, so you can use the wait for status change node.

Hi @Martyn Houghton, just having another stab at this suggestion.  I get the concept of the wait for status change node but I'm not quite sure how to configure this so that the status is updated by the linked request so that the primary request can then progress.  Can you give me some further info to assist?  Thanks

Sam 

@SJEaton

Sam

The basic way relies on a manual update to the parent (original) request either by the user app or portal. To automate it would need to include an integration node in the child (linked) request to make an update on the parent (original) request which would then trigger the status change.

The latter would use the Hornbill integration elements within iBridge (https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill).

From @Steven Boardman update on the 8th January, I would guess that the Service Manager build with the fix in it is likely to come out mid next week, so might be work holding on for a further week rather than making the changes to your process now.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

@SJEaton the Service manager update was deployed this morning. I think it does contain the fix for this. It appears as NEW because new functionality was introduced to have the issue fixed.

2 hours ago, Harry Hornbill said:

NEW: You can now set a Suspend and Wait for Update BPM Workflow node to expire and continue after a predefined amount of time {PM00149440}

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Victor

We've applied all service manager updates but it doesn't seem like my issue has been fixed i.e. the wait for request update nodes are still not waiting for the next update, the process is just continuing and not waiting  :(

Requests showing where this didn't work are SR00020545 and SR00020551

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

@SJEaton right, I haven't forget forgot about this and I have some good and bad news :) ... Bad news first, we can't really fix this... I mean it requires some more thought on the current code logic and implementation. So no fix in the near future I'm afraid... Good news, there is a solution to have the scenario working (i.e. have a BP suspend and wait for an update - an update occurring after the suspend). I need to design a BP example first so I'll update this post when done ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@Victor @SJEaton

Hi

I am having the same issue and was just about to log a post on here for the same thing. But then found this post. 

My issue is excatly as mentioned but I also wanted to query if there is anyway to stop the BPM and wait for any type of update?

I want to wait for an "update" before the BPM continues but also see no way to get the BPM to wait for an Assign to team? I am assuming all Suspend and "Wait for.." tasks do not work if they have previously occured in the timeline?

At the moment the only thing I can see that stops the BPM from progressing is the "Wait for resolution" which is not ideal as the person completing the call would need to know they have to click resolve to process the rest of the BPM and then I would have to add a Open call into the BPM to re open it and get it to process to the next section.

Any update would be great

thanks

lee

9 minutes ago, lee mcdermott said:

see no way to get the BPM to wait for an Assign to team?

@lee mcdermott  your eyesight is quite good :D ... sorry, no, the only update that is being considered is a timeline entry with the type: Update. The assignment action will have a timeline entry with the type: Assign. Hence it does not qualify :(

I did not forget about this (the BP example) but time, time is a resource is seem to have almost run out lately... but I'll come back to this as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@SJEaton firstly, I do apologise for the long overdue reply here. I just got a chance to update here and show how the "Suspend Wait For Update" can work. I have attached a BP example for anyone to look at if needed. Basically, to have the "Suspend Wait For Update" node working in the way that the process will suspend and wait for an update that will happen after suspend, you will need to chain two of these nodes which are preceded by an automatic update. I understand if this is a bit confusing so I'll outline the 3 required nodes for any "suspend" sequence:

• Node 1 - Requests - Update Request - Timeline : can contain anything but I would go for a generic entry like "The request is now suspended waiting for an update" or something like this.
  • Node 2 - Requests - Suspend - Wait for Request Update
  • Node 3 - Requests - Suspend - Wait for Request Update

All the above 3 nodes are required for the "suspend and wait for an update that will happen after suspend" sequence to work.

image.png

Note: in the attached example BP there are 4 nodes but the last one is not relevant, it is there as an example action for testing purposes to show the BP did resume after suspend. When building the "suspend" sequence in your processes please ignore this node. All you need is the first 3 nodes (the ones I also mentioned above)

Example BP for the above nodes:  example-suspend-wait-for-update.bpm.txt

Hi @Victor,

Sorry but can you explain the logic of this? Why are two suspend - wait for update nodes required? 

I am assuming that the Update A node in your screenshot sees the previous node as an update and the BPM moves on to Update B where it is truly in a suspend state and will not move until a further update (by user or analyst), is that correct? 

Am I correct in also assuming that the first update node is there to cover any requests that have had no updates since logging?