Wait for Request Update Node not Waiting

SJEaton

Hi

I’ve created a linked request in the BPM - HRA I Want to Appoint Process - v7.0

It’s on the ‘On-Boarding – Internal’ stage and called 'Raise New Linked Request for Payroll & HRA'.   

For some reason it’s not waiting when it reaches the ’Wait for Request Update’ node and sending the Prompt email to Owner as soon as the request for Payroll & HRA is raised. 

The BPM for the linked request raised is called 'HRA Internal Transfer' and in this request there is an auto-task that updates the linked request and this is what it should be waiting for. 

Can someone please take a look and advise what I've done wrong?  Thanks

Sam

@SJEaton

Normally you can do this via https://www.hornbill.com/support/?request/, enter your instance id and email address. Then you should get a screen similar to below and click on 'Get Help'. Or you can email them on hornbill.support@hornbill.com. Though it does depend on what maintenance/success plan you are on.

Cheers

Martyn

image.thumb.png.77739ad497e24b6f1bc2eff51623f061.png

@SJEaton @Martyn Houghton

35 minutes ago, Martyn Houghton said:

Wondering if something has been introduced by a Service Manager or Platform update?

The behavior of this suspend node has not been changed in latest platform or Service Manager updates. However,  looking at the code, it might be faulty but it always was... Need to do some investigation and report it to our dev team if my suspicion is confirmed...

@Martyn Houghton

11 minutes ago, Martyn Houghton said:

Or you can email them on hornbill.support [ ] hornbill.com

I'm afraid the only way to raise a support request is using the web form located on the support page you mentioned. We do not log requests from direct emails. Moreover, the mailbox is not actively monitored (due to automation tools in place) so direct emails might get noticed with delays or missed entirely... regardless, under normal circumstances, we won't be able to raise a request for you.

@SJEaton

You will be able to access the support page but you won't be able to raise a support request with us (the Get Help option is not available for you). This is because you are currently on Essentials Success Plan the option to raise a request with our support team is not available for this success plan I'm afraid.

@SJEaton nah... on SR00010461 the suspend for update node did not "work" (i.e. suspend) either... it can be seen on the timeline that after the linked request was created it went through the suspend node and created the "Send Activation Email..." node.... so the BP was actually waiting for the manual task so maybe the confusion it was waiting for update...

I'll run some tests but my theory is that if you have any timeline entry with the type of update the suspend node will behave as an update was made... the timeline entry can be anywhere... an example is, let's say, you have an update type entry in the beginning of the process... and somewhere towards middle or end of the process you have a suspend for update node... because the suspend node will look for an update entry regadless on when the update was made it will not suspend... and because we have an update in the begining... well, it won't work...

The way it should work is that the suspend node should look for an update only made after the suspend was initiated...

That's just weird. I thought the whole point of the 'suspend and wait for request update' was that it waited for the next time it was updated following that node??  I'm sure this is used elsewhere in other processes but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Sam

Hi @Victor 

The suspend and wait for request update node' really is misleading then and there's no purpose to it.  Do you think something can be done to make it work the way expected i.e. that the suspend node looks for an update only made after the suspend was initiated?

Sam

@SJEaton ... I did mention above that I bought this behavior in the attention of our developers... I do think is a faulty design and yes, I was thinking the same in my above comment that the node should cater for updates made after suspend was initiated...

So, yes, most likely something can be done, currently, I am waiting for dev team feedback on this.

Hi @Victor, sorry to chase but any ideas on the timeline for a response from the developers on this?  I'm being pressed to get a fix as we need to introduce the linked requests/wait for update function in our 'I Want to Appoint' process as soon as possible.  Unless there's a workaround you can suggest in the interim?  Thanks

Sam  

@SJEaton

Is it a manual update on the original requests that then resumes the workflow? If it is you could look at having a manual activity which is completed when the appropriate action is taken on the linked request, or look at using a sub-status for this period of the request lifecycle, so you can use the wait for status change node.

Cheers

Martyn

2 hours ago, SJEaton said:

any ideas on the timeline for a response from the developers on this

@SJEaton the dev team acknowledged the defect we described in this thread (basically this: because the suspend node will look for an update entry regardless on when the update was made it will not suspend). Thjey are now working to have it fixed. I'm afraid I don't have any ETA for this at the moment. I understand that the fix is important to you and I am sorry for the trouble it might case but I am unable to prioritise it. However, as soon as there are any updates on this we will let you know.

Meanwhile, perhaps @Martyn Houghton suggestion would prove suitable. I'll also have a look to see if there are any other alternatives.